DDR4 choice for 13600k

Associate
What would you say was the sweet spot for DDR4 with a 13600k, as in speed. And any suggestions off what brand to buy, Currently using Patriot viper 4400 but I dont think it likes this cpu, or maybe the other way round.
Any help appreciated

You have very good RAM. Be happy and stop doubting your choice.
as I said, it did not run well with this cpu....something not right with it. I have actually changed it for teamgroup 8 pack edition 14cl 3600 ram and it runs a dream now....maybe a slower speed but the low latency makes such a difference, my pc is so fast now and I can not see much difference in games with fps. Now I just need to see if I can improve the temps on this cpu...it runs hot even with a custom loop, 60c on hell let loose lol

something not right with it.
I dont think it likes this cpu, or maybe the other way round.

I did not infer the first point from the second but good to know. Might be pushing the RAM controller too hard or a weird BIOS not playing nicely with the RAM. It was fairly common for early Z690 BIOS revisions to fight with DDR4 but it was more Gigabyte than anyone else and I typically trust MSI.

You could try install the 4400 speed RAM and drop the frequency to something like 3733 or 3800 with XMP timings and then tighten from there if you wanted to kill a few hours.

Otherwise, enjoy the new RAM.

Last edited:
When I was looking for faster DDR4 I was tempted by the Viper, but quite a lot of users couldn't achieve anywhere near the advertised speeds.
Knowing my luck, I didn't try.
Some of the fastest Viper will use better memory chips which would actually improve the odds of achieving the advertised speeds, but can't remember which ones.
The 8Pack Samsung B-Die ever now and then are in offer, and quite often can run much faster than advertised. Used the 3200 CL14 for ages without issues, and later the 3600 CL16.
For 4000+ I would look for G Skill or the 8Pack if the price is right.

the viper 4400 i had is b-die ram and ran perfectly at xmp with my 12600k on this board, it just did not like the new cpu for some reason. The viper is now in my second pc with a 12100f cpu and is working great, no issues. I have bought the dark pro 8 pack edition 3600 cl14 ram and is working perfectly with my 13600k so The only thing I was saying is the viper did not get on very well with the 13600k, dont know why, probably a bios issue who knows ;)

When I was looking for faster DDR4 I was tempted by the Viper, but quite a lot of users couldn't achieve anywhere near the advertised speeds.
Knowing my luck, I didn't try.
Some of the fastest Viper will use better memory chips which would actually improve the odds of achieving the advertised speeds, but can't remember which ones.
The 8Pack Samsung B-Die ever now and then are in offer, and quite often can run much faster than advertised. Used the 3200 CL14 for ages without issues, and later the 3600 CL16.
For 4000+ I would look for G Skill or the 8Pack if the price is right.
The patriot Viper Steel 4000 and 4400 both use Samsung B die that can run faster than stock or slower with far tighter timings.

The 4400 is some of the best and cheapest Samsung B die you can get.

If you don’t know what you’re doing, I can assure you that RAM overclocking is very difficult. Hell, even if you do know what you’re doing, RAM overclocking is tricky.

4400 is very hard on the memory controller of the CPU so it is often difficult to run just at XMP with no tweaks.

Also, AMD’s AM4 CPUs could run ram at 4400 because they have good memory controllers but that would mess around with the infinity fabric and not result in faster performance.

Intels 12th gen can make use of 4400 speed RAM but their memory controllers were weaker than AMD.

13th gen does have better and stronger memory controllers by the early feedback coming from Buildzoid and co.

Last edited:
I have found a video on you tube about a setting in bios that allows you to reduce temps, dont know if everyone else knows about it but thought I would post it here anyway just in case.

I have used it today and it has dropped my temps on cinebench r23 by 20c without any loss in performance, I was hitting up to 97c until i enabled this setting. Not sure if this is on all boards but I am on msi and it is

results after a few runs of cinebench, much better temps
I have seen no drop in performance during gaming but the cpu is a lot cooler running

hope this helps

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom