DDR5 builds

Soldato
Is anyone building (recommending) any builds using DDR5 yet?

I know its exepensive but i cant see the point in building on a DDR4 motherboard

How long (if you had to guess) should one wait for DDR5 to be an "acceptable" price?

If anyone thinks its ok to go DDR5 now and could spec a £1200 - 1300 ish box only (no GPU) what would it be?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is anyone building (recommending) any builds using DDR5 yet?

People who prefer spending money to saving it are, or have a very specific application use-case where they benefit from the higher bandwidth.

I know its exepensive but i cant see the point in building on a DDR4 motherboard

If you end up with the same performance for the uses you have for the system what does it matter?

How long (if you had to guess) should one wait for DDR5 to be an "acceptable" price?

Q4 '22 for the supply of the parts that build the modules to come down, the actual RAM chips aren't that expensive if you look at the spot pricing.

If anyone thinks its ok to go DDR5 now and could spec a £1200 - 1300 ish box only (no GPU) what would it be?

16GB of terrible quality Micron DDR5, then a 12400f/12600k/12700k, a Z690 DDR5 board for~£220, etc... However, the real answer is don't bother, seriously.

Soldato
OP
People who prefer spending money to saving it are, or have a very specific application use-case where they benefit from the higher bandwidth.

If you end up with the same performance for the uses you have for the system what does it matter?

Q4 '22 for the supply of the parts that build the modules to come down, the actual RAM chips aren't that expensive if you look at the spot pricing.

16GB of terrible quality Micron DDR5, then a 12400f/12600k/12700k, a Z690 DDR5 board for~£220, etc... However, the real answer is don't bother, seriously.

Thank you, that was very helpful.

So either wait until end of the year or just build now on DDR4..

Soldato
Its not that i have a specific need for DDR5 i just didnt think it made sense to do a build using an older tech.

As Micky said above prices are lower, but only for bottom of the rung kits that may end up slower than decent DDR4 at less than half the cost.

At best new DDR standards end up taking 12-18 months to reach parity in both performance and price.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the spec.. all makes sense now

quick question on the liquid cooler. Never used one before, always just had air coolers. Are they just connect them like any other cooler ?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the spec.. all makes sense now

quick question on the liquid cooler. Never used one before, always just had air coolers. Are they just connect them like any other cooler ?
Yes just a little bit more in-depth mounting them but not to difficult .

In my build you would have to mount the aio cooler at the front of that case due to its size rad but there are lots of options to choose if you want to put something together yourself.

Then run it buy us for critiquing. :D

Back
Top Bottom