• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dead 2080ti - Advice Please

Associate
After some advice.

My adult son’s 2080ti failed to start today, the computer started using the onboard GPU instead. He checked device manager and found that an error code 43 was being reported.

He did some research and discovered that this is most likely dead hardware, but maybe driver related so he clean-installed fresh drivers but same problem. He also tried a spare card (1060) and that worked fine so definitely looking like a graphics card hardware fault.

Since he has be deliberating over a new graphics card for sometime he used this as an excuse to order a new 4080 Super which arrives tomorrow.

Finally getting to the question - what to do with the 2080?

I’ve done some research and a common problem is cracked joints in the memory chips but although I’m a dab hand with electronics I don’t have the skills or equipment to work with balled surface mount chips so a home repair is not possible.

What do you think - is it worth getting it repaired - are there even people that repair these cards?

If not then should I just bin it or does it still have some second hand value when sold ‘not working’.

BTW it is out of warranty.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are people who can look into repairing those cards, there's a guy on here that does that sort of thing as a hobby and has pulled off a few miracles with old hardware.

@Vince

If he can't help you himself he might be able to point you in the right direction.

It does depend on what the issue is exactly, maybe remove the HSF and give the card a good look over? It might be a relatively easy fix like replacing a few caps or something.

Last edited:
Soldato
yes there are people who repair them but the cost may not be worth it and the repair may not work or only work temporarily

no do not bin it, people buy them as spare or repair and either fix them or harvest the parts

Last edited:
Soldato
There's definitely value in selling it as not working, in the worst case scenario.

As mentioned, people can and do repair them and I've watched plenty of decent videos on it. But it would obviously be best to find someone who is familiar with it rather than someone willing to 'have a go at it'.

Back
Top Bottom