• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dead gigabite gtx 1080

Associate
brought a 1080 from overclockers within seconds of them going on sale,
with in a week i put an AIO conversion on it, been fine ever since,

come to play today, switch on it wont post!
red light on motherboard, showing GPU error,
removed the gpu, posts fine,
tried new power connection, different port in the motherboard, nothing!

just wont post with the card in,

removed the cooler, and fitted the original one, starts up goes to post, gtx logo goes out, and nothing!

on closer inspection iv found this very poorly soldered capacitor on the board, which has come off,

whats the odds on warranty?

Associate
its 50/50 some companys are fine with it!

you should call ocuk on the phone, it's sad for the brand new card, but the bright side of it, you seem to have found the issue, so even if the warranty is void, a simple soldering might fix it, still better than having a dead card without being able to pinpoint the issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gigabyte say they allow cooler removal, however we have also seen them chalk up components falling off as being user damage

They might offer to repair it for a small fee

Associate
Hi Baxter.
We don't void the warranty for fitting aftermarket coolers, unless they are damaged in the process.
So under normal circumstances this would qualify as user damage and the warranty would be void. If it wasn't an outsourced car (not built by Gigabyte) I'm sure our RMA center could attempt a repair but my understanding is that because is it an outsource card the NVIDIA policy is for the card to go back to them.
Send me a private message and I'll start a conversation with our RMA center to look for alternatives to solve your problem.

Soldato
Gigabyte say they allow cooler removal, however we have also seen them chalk up components falling off as being user damage

They might offer to repair it for a small fee

If you were in chrge of rmas at gigabyte would you accept this card back?

If it's just the cap you might be able to get an electrical engineer to repair it with a soldering iron.

Man of Honour
im sending it to the local PCB repair company,

I'd consider taking up GB's post above - I don't think that capacitor alone should stop it working entirely - those big caps are usually used for smoothing/noise filtering though I'm not hands on familiar with the 1080 layout.

Man of Honour
I can't see the damage tbf?

Grey and black medium sized capacitor slightly to the right of centre of the second image is at a weird angle - to be frank I have a hard time believing that wasn't damage caused in the process of fitting an aftermarket heatsink those don't usually fail to mount like that due to poor soldering.

Soldato
Grey and black medium sized capacitor slightly to the right of centre of the second image is at a weird angle - to be frank I have a hard time believing that wasn't damage caused in the process of fitting an aftermarket heatsink those don't usually fail to mount like that due to poor soldering.

If it is damaged at the time of installation then it would not work at all I would imagine.

Back
Top Bottom