Dead Nissan Leaf help!

Man of Honour
I have been getting spammed with adverts for lithium 12v car batteries.
smaller , lighter and 10 year warranty ... however Christ they are expensive.
still... I may consider it when my ipace 12v needs replacing.

Depending on usage a standard car battery can be dead in as little as 100 deep discharge cycles, EFB/AGM a bit better, some lithium types can take in excess of 3000 under similar use.

Soldato
Yes, I imagine it might help to buffer/smooth the voltage from the main batteries to the more sensitive components also - that said, I can't see why they aren't smarter - ie could use the main battery to trickle feed/maintain the 12V - just old fashioned thinking I suspect from petrol design days ...!
Tesla Roadster did that an its bricked the main battery after long period.

No one else thought of it until you came along of course...

Soldato
Tesla are moving away from 12v. I don't think it'll be that long before most also make the same shift.

Soldato
The need to make sure the pedals dont fall off that car first.

Same difference, Seperate low voltage bus. The Leaf battery may be dead now after a deep discharge so thankfully as its just a small 12V lead acid its a pretty cheap replacement.

Soldato
A friend had this happen

They could not charge it with a flat battery, the thing just refused to charge

The car had to be jump started, yes you read that right and after that the battery started charging and they drove home two hours later. It was jump started with a colleague's petrol car at work
This is how most modern cars work with completely flat batteries, when they get that low, all the electronics shut off, and won’t turn back on unless it’s got sufficient voltage, so ‘jump starting’ from another 12v battery is required.o
Same happened to my daughter with her boyfriend, he had a VW Up 1.0, sat in it for hours, flattened the battery and everything was dead, I popped out to help, couldn’t bump start it since the electronics would not wake up.. I then realised the ID.3 I was in had the exact same battery as his Up, so jump started his Up off the ID.3 which worked.. It was funny for the opposite reason, an EV jump starting an ICE car!

Last edited:
Soldato
Tesla are moving away from 12v. I don't think it'll be that long before most also make the same shift.

On paper, 12v/48v wouldn't make any difference to the thread, if the requirement is to have a backup LV battery for safety systems then you'd need a 48v battery alongside the main HV battery.. that would still be able to be flattened..

However, reading that article, it seems they've taken the leap to remove the LV battery entirely "The vehicle's 48 V is derived from the vehicle's primary 400/800-V battery and then sent to 12-V power converters located close to the load points"..

Hmm.. they could have done that now, derived the 12v from the main HV battery, but they chose not to for (presumably) safety reasons..

My M5 has a lithium ion starter battery (standard fit) and it costs a fortune. EBay are selling them second hand for £600. I can’t seem to find the cost of one new in the UK online.

Edit: Just found it’s £840!
From 2022 onwards, Model Y/Model 3 have a 12v li-ion battery (went alongside the AMD Ryzen processor change).. however, since it doesn't need to crank an engine, it's not that large, so looks <£500 new, some are saying the Model S/X Li-ion battery from Tesla was $200..

Soldato
On paper, 12v/48v wouldn't make any difference to the thread, if the requirement is to have a backup LV battery for safety systems then you'd need a 48v battery alongside the main HV battery.. that would still be able to be flattened..
I added that in response to the post that was surprised 12v batteries haven't evolved in the world of EVs.

Keeping a separate low voltage battery seems like the way things should be, and will continue to be, even in EVs.

Soldato
some lithium types can take in excess of 3000 under similar use.
.. for colder climates not sure lithiums are so good for high wedges of cranking current ...
the replacement cost of them alone per above, for 2nd owner versus agm/lead yikes; can't lead/agm be recycled just as well, too, so no higher environmental cost.

Man of Honour
.. for colder climates not sure lithiums are so good for high wedges of cranking current ...
the replacement cost of them alone per above, for 2nd owner versus agm/lead yikes; can't lead/agm be recycled just as well, too, so no higher environmental cost.

For an EV you don't need cranking current (though some hybrid, etc. type systems are another matter).

You can get the appropriate battery for £200-300 though that is a fair bit more than the equivalent lead acid, though the OE ones are often priced in the £600-1000! range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom