Dead people threads.

Soldato
When Alan Rickman died I was upset because he was a very good actor and we knew from that moment onward there would never be a movie/show with him in it again. Same with other actors or musicians, losing them means we will never see/hear them again practising their art. If a reality show person died I couldn't give a monkeys, sad yes, and a shame but I would not miss them as I probably not even knew who they were or ever seen them as I don't watch crap like that.

David Attenborough, when he dies would you really not have any feelings for his loss OP? Same with Stephen Fry.
When you grow up with these people you form a sort of love for them, they entertain you, fill you with knowledge, make you laugh, make you sad.

Soldato
if people are posting memorial threads for attention then it's not working because i almost exclusively don't pay attention to who had actually posted it. this isn't facebook where having a bunch of people reply to a thread makes you as the initiator more noteworthy.

you say RIP because it's the done-thing to say especially if you don't know of the person well enough to make a more relevant comment about them but still want to be respectful.

personally i quite like them, it's a welcome break to the usual *ahem* "debates" on here and often you can learn something new and interesting about a given person, for example i learned how Yaphet Kotto turned down the roles of both lando calrissian and jean-luc picard.

Soldato
There's lots of people that I admire that have sadly passed away and had threads on OCUK over the time I've been here. And lots I don't. Personally will only put a RIP message if I do and it's because to me they meant something or I appreciate the loss in their field/work and it brings up a degree of sadness to me.

It's no difference to having a book of condolences or showing that you care by sending a sympathy card apart from it's a general gesture that costs nothing. I don't think people who post the threads think of anything apart from sadness and that something or someone they liked has now been removed from their life.

Soldato
I think the threads are good to share memories of the person who died.

Our lives are made up of milestones and part of that is the people we have watched growing up.

I know I've come to the forum when someone famous as died and been thankful there is a thread there already so I can contribute and see what other peoples memories are.

The simple answer is to not look at the threads you don't like.

RIP threads aren't as bad as some on facebook, were someone writes its a celebrities birthday and people are typing happy birthday to the celebrity as though they are reading the thread.

Soldato

Our lives are made up of milestones and part of that is the people we have watched growing up.

I know I've come to the forum when someone famous as died and been thankful there is a thread there already so I can contribute and see what other peoples memories are.

RIP threads aren't as bad as some on facebook, were someone writes its a celebrities birthday and people are typing happy birthday to the celebrity as though they are reading the thread.

this 100%

Soldato
Budforce is just worried that no one will care when he dies, so he starts this thread knowing when he passes away people will create a thread to be "ironic" that way he will at least be remembered by somebody.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the threads are good as they often contain info about the person you may not know about..and in some cases people on the forum did know them/met them once etc

Caporegime
In regards to famous people..

I don't hate them. I just don't go into them.
Unless someone has made a real difference I just cba. No different to anyone else.

Obviously 'make a difference' is subjective.
But I don't go in to say.. RIP

Obviously if someone like. David Attenborough died that would be different. People like that have made a difference

Soldato
In regards to famous people..

I don't hate them. I just don't go into them.
Unless someone has made a real difference I just cba. No different to anyone else.

Obviously 'make a difference' is subjective.
But I don't go in to say.. RIP

Obviously if someone like. David Attenborough died that would be different. People like that have made a difference
Which proves it's all just subjective. Your view on what has been of big impact will vary to someone else's.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

You know roughly 150,000 people die every day, yet because you've seen them in TV you think they are deserving of a thread over the other 149,999?

Yes.

When the other 149,999 people do something worthy of recognition, then I'll start a thread for them when they pass.

Caporegime

It's super rare that I agree with almost anything you post but ^this^ is spot on.

OP seems to be having a meltdown about people showing empathy for something that doesn't directly relate to them. There may be a term for that but I'm speculating.

Back
Top Bottom