Poll: Death Penalty - Yay or Nay

Should the death penalty be reinstated?

• Yes

Votes: 321 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 432 57.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm fairly right leaning with my Political views but I don't believe in the death penalty for the simple reason that if one person is wrongly executed then the state is no better than the people it's supposedly punishing. And in every justice system there have been people wrongly executed, which is something you can't take back or give compensation for.

Caporegime
Let the mods deal with it I guess.

I assume the people taking a jab at all students and recent graduates for being a bunch of whiners who demand safe spaces and can't face the real world are planting their tongues firmly in their cheeks when complaining about being insulted on a forum, though.

Soldato
Let me put this to you:
You and your family & friends are locked in the room with the bomber and his bomb that will kill & maim you all, there is 5 minutes to go and you need the code. You try different codes but none work but there is a slim hope if you torture the bomber he may give up the code - WHAT DO YOU DO?

Well obviously you would let everybody die because hey, you have morals.

Good game this.
Do you want to play tic tac toe?

I don't think you can use such extreme fictional scenarios to determine morality. I was the one who mentioned torture originally and i would torture someone who i knew had the code, that's just natural flight or fight though. If you put two starving men in a pit and tell them to fight to the death for some food, they will fight each other. Fortunately, society isn't like this. Do you really think Guantanamo did anything to help terrorism around the world? Or do you think it actually worsened the situation and helped the terrorist ideology?

Where do you draw the line with capital punishment, if you murder someone then automatically you're put on death row? Whats to stop the person who already killed a person thinking "hey, i've just killed one person, that's capital punishment for me, i'll keep going, i'll murder 6,7 or 8 more people"

Perhaps that little ray of light for the perpetrator that thinks he'll get out in 5 years, 10 years or may not get caught is actually what stops them committing more murders and not going bat **** crazy and killing everyone in sight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Let the mods deal with it I guess.

I assume the people taking a jab at all students and recent graduates for being a bunch of whiners who demand safe spaces and can't face the real world are planting their tongues firmly in their cheeks when complaining about being insulted on a forum, though.

I suspect that you do not really get it.

"We" are not complaining about being insulted, "We" are complaining about the hypocrisy of those that are doing the insulting!

Permabanned
I have no problem with anything anyone has said here about me or my posts, it's a free country and suggesting I am a troll is hardly going to make me have a sleepless night, but thanks for the concern. I realise some things I say are contentious to some people here, I accept there may be some flak :)

Anyway, just time for a game of hangman before I turn in ;)

No doubt the Jungle demolition will be a source of alternative discussion tomorrow, what could possibly go wrong moving a few thousand tired and grateful refugees to an alternative part of a beautiful, peaceful country like France, to which they all decided to freely travel thousands of miles..... ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I suspect that you do not really get it.

"We" are not complaining about being insulted, "We" are complaining about the hypocrisy of those that are doing the insulting!

I haven't insulted anyone.

I will say, if you base your beliefs of the value of eugenics on some casual dog breeding experience or your understanding of the views of "people who disagree with the death penalty" on your personal opinion of a small sample of the behaviour of the children of your acquaintances, post University. I'm not sure you have understood the sort of level of evidence such an important subject would deserve.

As people pointed out we moved away from capital punishment quite some time ago, presumably the people who did so were not the product of the current university system.

I said a change in law should really put the burden of proof with those that want to change it. Dog breeding experience and rambling about the hardships of your childhood in a manner reminiscent of the Monty Python Yorkshire-man sketch are not what I would class as evidence.

Associate
Let me put this to you:
You and your family & friends are locked in the room with the bomber and his bomb that will kill & maim you all, there is 5 minutes to go and you need the code. You try different codes but none work but there is a slim hope if you torture the bomber he may give up the code - WHAT DO YOU DO?

Well obviously you would let everybody die because hey, you have morals.

Good game this.
Do you want to play tic tac toe?

In your scenario I would like to think I would do whatever it takes to save myself, my family and my friends. Doesn't really prove the point you want it to though, as in that extreme case my actions are completely self serving.

How this example can have any bearing on whether torture is justified on a national state sponsored level, I'm not sure.

What are your thoughts on the scenario I originally replied with?

Man of Honour
This is what some posters don't understand, I don't expect you or anybody to take my points onboard, they are my opinions and I'm not going to force them on anybody. However I expect to give my opinion without being insulted, even a Mod thought it was Ok to do so just because people disagree with him (the anonymous quote).

If you think that you have been insulted then please use the RTM function on the offending post (or posts), alternatively you can discuss it in the Forum Content Discussion sub-forum. This is an emotive subject but it's no excuse not to be civil so please do highlight instances where you feel this has not been abided by.

Soldato
I can, because the question posed by the original poster is "Should the death penalty be *REINSTATED*" :) I blame liberal brain washing during modern education for the negative poll result ;)

Liberal brain washing? The death penalty is, in the large majority of cases, hypocritical. I don't see how that's liberal in any way shape or form; even right wingers aren't necessarily hypocrites.

Soldato
Liberal brain washing? The death penalty is, in the large majority of cases, hypocritical. I don't see how that's liberal in any way shape or form; even right wingers aren't necessarily hypocrites.

I am liberal when it comes to people being gay, cross dressers, transexuals etc.

But when it comes to terrorists, serial rapists/murders and the sickest in society ie venebeles they should be put down. No vegeance, no hatred it's just they are rabid animals and nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom