debt collection for business

Man of Honour
Can anyone recommend a debt collection service for businesses? I have a client who has owed me money for too long and has somewhat gone to ground. There is a paper trail and I am bored of chasing him. All our work completed and accepted by him and final invoice unpaid now since September.

Anyone have thoughts, recommendations? Have only ever had to chase payments with foreign clients before.

Bundelling in the back of a van is unfortunately not an option in this context.

Soldato

Do you have a postal address?

IF you do then what you should do is issue a letter before action advising the client they have 14 days to pay the amount outstanding in full before the debt is passed to a debt collection agency.

There are template letters for that sort of thing online if you google.

If they don't respond then engage a debt collection agency. There are lots of them around - again google them. They will charge for their services - normally around 10% of the debt. If they don't succeed they can help you with engaging a solicitor to take the debtor to court. If you win the case the debtor will be liable for the debt and your costs and bailiffs can be instructed.

Man of Honour
OP
Do you have a postal address?

IF you do then what you should do is issue a letter before action advising the client they have 14 days to pay the amount outstanding in full before the debt is passed to a debt collection agency.

There are template letters for that sort of thing online if you google.

If they don't respond then engage a debt collection agency. There are lots of them around - again google them. They will charge for their services - normally around 10% of the debt. If they don't succeed they can help you with engaging a solicitor to take the debtor to court. If you win the case the debtor will be liable for the debt and your costs and bailiffs can be instructed.

Thanks for that. I do have an address but it is part of serviced office / hot desking building but I guess that shouldn't matter.

Soldato
Thanks for that. I do have an address but it is part of serviced office / hot desking building but I guess that shouldn't matter.

You want an address where the letter will reach him/her.

A large proportion of debtors will pay once you make mention of using a debt collection agency.

Another question - do you know if your client is still trading?

If you have done work for a limited company that is no longer solvent then I would say goodbye to your £7000.

Soldato
I have seen stats in the past. I can't remember exactly but something like 80% of debtors will pay up on a letter before action from you. Of those who don't something like 60% will pay up on the first letter from a DCA.

Don't take those figures as exact but they are a rough approximation.

Man of Honour
OP
I have seen stats in the past. I can't remember exactly but something like 80% of debtors will pay up on a letter before action from you. Of those who don't something like 60% will pay up on the first letter from a DCA.

Don't take those figures as exact but they are a rough approximation.

Soldato
I'm a member of the FSB and their legal eagles recommended STA Graydon...could give them a go if you can't face dealing with it anymore (which is the position I was in).

Man of Honour
Issue a claim form and serve it on him personally. Then he's pretty much buggered... although then you may have problems or have to wait when enforcing the judgement!

Back
Top Bottom