• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Decent GFX card gaming and streaming?

Associate
Hi at topic, my Son loves Fortnight and he wants to stream as well his currant card is not upto the job currently looking at GTX 150 and GTX 160 cards budget around £150 - £200 any recommendations?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Ok got more info
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Name Intel Core i5 6500
Codename Skylake
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1151 LGA (0x1)
Northbridge Intel Skylake rev. 07
Southbridge Intel Skylake PCH rev. 31
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR4
Memory Size 8 GBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 1063.1 MHz (1:16)
CAS# latency (CL) 15.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 15
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 15
Cycle Time (tRAS) 36
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 278
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Uncore Frequency 3291.9 MHz
Host Bridge 0x191F

Mainboard Model H110I-PLUS
Name Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics
Windows Version Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit

Looking to upgrade gfx card hopefully some good deals about?

Soldato
Given you already have a lower mid range card in the RX470 for £250 I would want more of a performance increase than the RX590 will give.

AMD card don't seem particularly good at fortnight.
https://www.techspot.com/article/1557-fortnite-benchmarks/

Based on the RX 580's performance which is roughly 10% slower than an RX 590 which would still put it under GTX 1060 performance for this game.
Take into account this review is almost a year old, so possible driver improvements could have happened since. And they have a much faster CPU.

So maybe upgrading from RX470 - RX 590 will give a 20-30% improvement, as long as the CPU isn't bottlenecking. If the CPU is bottlenecking that improvement will be reduced a bit.

The alternative would be going into the 2nd hand market and looking at a GTX 1070. This would give you a about a 70% increase in general and possibly 100% on fortnight. But that is subject to the CPU not bottlenecking which it certainly will to some extent. I understand not everyone is comfortable going down the 2nd hand route.

If you do decide to go for the RX 590 please check your PSU and PC case is up to the job as it uses up to 250 W or more if you overclock it.
The RX470 is around 125 W. So that an additional 125W required from your PSU and 125W of extra heat your case has to expel.

The power consumption with a GTX 1070 is only 150W so a 25W increase, so it shouldn't be an Issue.

Associate
OP
Hmm just spoke to my Son and he said that when he multi tasks so plays fortnight and plays a youtube vid on his second monitor there is loads of lag, reading the above I don't think a new GFX card is the answer unless I go way above budget, OS is on a SSD so now I'm thinking more memory to cope with this problem?

Soldato
Hmm just spoke to my Son and he said that when he multi tasks so plays fortnight and plays a youtube vid on his second monitor there is loads of lag, reading the above I don't think a new GFX card is the answer unless I go way above budget, OS is on a SSD so now I'm thinking more memory to cope with this problem?

It's probably not memory. It's 4 cores CPU causing the lag. It just doesn't have the legs to stream and game. Streaming you're looking at least a 6 core CPU, for your budget it's like the 2600 Ryzen cpu

Back
Top Bottom