Decking frame??

Associate
Hi all

I am having decking in my back garden and my dad is going to be doing it for me but I think he might be doing it slightly wrong so I need your help fast. The decking is going to raised and start from slabs which are around 3ft High. It's going to be 3 levels going down due to my garden having a slight slope.

My garden is 16ft wide and 32ft length and my dad is doing the decking base with the planks 2ft apart from each other. He is also digging 800mm holes for posts every 2ft away from each other making it 8 posts from one width to the other and 16 posts from length to length 8x16=128 posts altogether. I feel that's a bit extreme and a overkill. I will also need around 100 - 110 postcrete 20g bags to fill the holes. Can you tell me if this is correct or completely wrong? Here's a image below of whats been done so far.

yamaTqv

Last edited:
Soldato
Before you proceed, 3ft high for decking is a lot and requires planning permission. Also looks like your going to deck more than 50% of the garden which also requires planning permission.

Associate
OP
Oh damn! Never thought you needed planning permission for decking with the reasons above. I will keep that in mind. I bet 90 percent of ppl with fully decked gardens don't have planning permission . As for the base I still think it's completely wrong.

Soldato
128 posts seems to overkill. I'd probably reduce the centres to mm and reduce the amount of the posts.

With regards to posts seeing as it's multi level make sure you plan this well. The amount of posts might also be dictated by the length of the joists you buy as you should end a cut joist on a post.

Soldato
Oh damn! Never thought you needed planning permission for decking with the reasons above. I will keep that in mind. I bet 90 percent of ppl with fully decked gardens don't have planning permission . As for the base I still think it's completely wrong.

If one of your neighbours complains you will be in for a world of hassle without permission. For the base, why do you think its wrong? 600mm centres is OK if your using good decking, perhaps only thing is the post holes are a little deep. Dont use postcrete its expensive, buy bulk bag of ballast and mix your own.

Associate
OP
My dad said I am going at the same ground level that my property already has with levelling with the slabs so I am not a actually going much higher. So if I don't do the full garden. I should be okay?.

Soldato
I've been planning mine recently.
4.8m x 3.2m.
Posts will be every 900mm along the 4.8m and at every 1600mm along the short length (so only 18 posts).
I'm not going as high as you will be so mine will be more or less ground level (floating deck).
Posts will be on slabs rather than being fixed in with postcrete.
Composite decking so there is a bit more leeway from what I understand. Should support 8 tons when built apparently.

Spacers will be every 450mm.

I think your dad is over-engineering but thats dad's for you I guess.
I think planning permission is only required if over 30cm in height from the ground, not sure on the total area cover as not looked in to it (garden is pretty big in comparison). I know with outbuildings, you can deem them temporary if they are not fixed structures (ie: with foundations) but I can't remember where I saw that.
Planning permissions have just changed so might be worth checking.

Associate
Afternoon all

Some good advice but you should always refer to the legislation rather than third party website. I am a Planning Enforcement Officer for a Local Planning Authority and can offer the following info.

Hard surfacing such as patios and drivewasy can be built at a domestic property and will benefit from permission by virtue of The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (as amended) subject to conditions and limitations within the relevant class:

Class F – hard surfaces incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse
Permitted development

F. Development consisting of—

(a)the provision within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse of a hard surface for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such; or

(b)the replacement in whole or in part of such a surface.
Development not permitted

F.1 Development is not permitted by Class F if permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use).
Conditions

F.2 Development is permitted by Class F subject to the condition that where—

(a)the hard surface would be situated on land between a wall forming the principal elevation of the dwellinghouse and a highway, and

(b)the area of ground covered by the hard surface, or the area of hard surface replaced, would exceed 5 square metres,

either the hard surface is made of porous materials, or provision is made to direct run-off water from the hard surface to a permeable or porous area or surface within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
Outbuildings and containers can be erected at residential dwellings under the same legislation but a different class:

Class E – buildings etc incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse
Permitted development

E. The provision within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse of—

(a)any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such, or the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of such a building or enclosure; or

(b)a container used for domestic heating purposes for the storage of oil or liquid petroleum gas.
Development not permitted

E.1 Development is not permitted by Class E if—

(a)permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use);

(b)the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the curtilage (other than the original dwellinghouse) would exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse);

(c)any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse;

(d)the building would have more than a single storey;

(e)the height of the building, enclosure or container would exceed—

(i)4 metres in the case of a building with a dual-pitched roof,

(ii)2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, or

(iii)3 metres in any other case;

(f)the height of the eaves of the building would exceed 2.5 metres;

(g)the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated within the curtilage of a listed building;

(h)it would include the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform;

(i)it relates to a dwelling or a microwave antenna; or

(j)the capacity of the container would exceed 3,500 litres.

E.2 In the case of any land within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse which is within—

(a)an area of outstanding natural beauty;

(b)the Broads;

(c)a National Park; or

(d)a World Heritage Site,

development is not permitted by Class E if the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures, pools and containers situated more than 20 metres from any wall of the dwellinghouse would exceed 10 square metres.

E.3 In the case of any land within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse which is article 2(3) land, development is not permitted by Class E if any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land between a wall forming a side elevation of the dwellinghouse and the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
Interpretation of Class E

E.4. For the purposes of Class E, “purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such” includes the keeping of poultry, bees, pet animals, birds or other livestock for the domestic needs or personal enjoyment of the occupants of the dwellinghouse.
We (I am a Local Authority Planning Enforcement Officer) don't get many reports relating to decking. If one concludes that the decking cannot be consdiered a "hard surface" then you will be relying on Class E rather than F and you will be caught out on the 30cm raised platform.

Current legislation is from 2015 and has been amended a number of times, original legislation is here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/contents/made

If you have doubts sumit plans to your local planning authority in an application known as a lawful development certificate. They will assess the plans against the legislation and if it complies you will be granted a lawful development certificate, if it is refused it will outline why it does not benefit from permission by virtue of the legislation.

Hope this helps

Soldato
128 posts is a little over engineered but not "completely wrong". I went for posts every 1.5m sunk to 700mm (and a few on slabs where I couldn't dig due to boundaries).

If it's not too late (ie while you wait for planning) you could take half of them out to save on lumber costs. Also mix your own concrete, save some more.

Back
Top Bottom