Deco P9 + Super Hub 4 Setup

Associate
Dunno if this is the right place for this but.. I've got a Deco P9 mesh system connected to my new SH4.

I've upgraded to 1gig from VM during the summer this year and I'm getting great speeds connected directly to my SH4 in modem mode.

Connecting my Deco P9 to the SH4 and then connecting a PC via ethernet to the P9.. the speed drops dramatically by around 90% - have I set something up wrong? Why is the ethernet speed connected to my Deco P9 so slow? WiFi not much better?

Connected directly to my SH4 with a cat6 cable and I get full 1gig speed. Adding in the P9 device between my PC and SH4 I get 88Mbp/s on the same cat6 cable connected to the P9?

Thanks.

Soldato
Assuming a 5GHz AC connection and 867Mbps claimed max data simplex transfer speed then half of that gives you the maximum duplex speed (the one you’re measuring) of 433Mbps which is then split 50/50 between the mesh function and the client so the absolute theoretical maximum you could ever expect from the Deco P9 (even wired through the gigabit port)would be 215Mbps and you’re getting half that. It doesn’t seem unreasonable if you’re in a congested WiFi zone.

Soldato
So the connection is something like this:

SH4--Deco P9--PC

Are the dashled lines all ethernet cables? I'm trying to work out if the Wi-Fi backhaul on the P9 is even used or if you're connecting everything by cable.

When you say the speed drops by 90%, I'm guessing that equates to around 100Mbps? If so and my assumption about the physical connection is correct you likely have a cabling problem. One of the links is sitting at 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps.

Soldato
And I presume that you have switched off one of the routers? If not then the Deco P9 will act as a NAT'd DHCP server (which wouldn't explain the radical drop in speed, but it won't help either).

Soldato
Fair enough. This very much looks like one of those threads that were prevalent in 2020 when BT launched the 910Mbps FTTP packages and everyone said "I'm only getting 200Mbps on my iPhone" etc. etc.

Yeah, it's hard to tell if the OP is geting the poor performance using a fully wired connection or if there's WiFi involved. I think it's wired ethernet all the way which is why I think something is linking at 100Mbps.

Soldato
If you've got your setup as SH4-(ethernet)-Deco P9-(ethernet)-PC then I expect it's down to QOS.

Open your deco app, click on MORE down the bottom, then under HOMECARE click QoS. There's an option for Total Bandwidth in there. I expect that's still got your old internet speed. Click Edit, and get your new speed via a Speed Test.

Associate
OP
Thanks all!

Yes you're all right the setup is as is: SH4-(ethernet)-Deco P9-(ethernet)-PC

Using the same cat6 cable directly to the SH4 I get full gigabit speed. Connected as above with the Deco P9 involved.. it drops 90%.

QoS has been changed to 1000 (maxed out basically) - I set that when I first ever setup the Deco units so I don't think it's that.

Associate
OP
And I presume that you have switched off one of the routers? If not then the Deco P9 will act as a NAT'd DHCP server (which wouldn't explain the radical drop in speed, but it won't help either).

Do you mean the SH4? It's in modem mode, yes. So I'm only getting wireless around the house from the Deco units. But this isn't a wireless issue, it's an ethernet issue. Although wireless speeds aren't exactly great on devices even when directly next to the primary Deco P9.

Soldato
There's at least 2 ethernet cables in use, you said that one of them is a known good cable but what about the other?

Check the link speeds that the various bits of kit are showing I expect there's a 100Mbps link somewhere, possibly down to a crap cable.

Associate
OP
There's at least 2 ethernet cables in use, you said that one of them is a known good cable but what about the other?

Check the link speeds that the various bits of kit are showing I expect there's a 100Mbps link somewhere, possibly down to a crap cable.
Wow, I hadn't even thought of that. Surely the cable that came with the deco units is gigabit if the ports are gigabit? I'll check now and let you know!

Associate
OP
I feel pretty stupid for not having checked that sooner.

Turns out my partner had taken out the cat6 from the back of the P9 and replaced it with some shoddy cat5 because she needed a longer wire for her Sonos in her office.

Replaced it now and getting 8x the speed. Thanks @the-evaluator

Back
Top Bottom