Deep sea diving/diving for the oil industry?

Associate
Mr Joshua said:
Not yet, I'm just seeing exactly what is required before I make any decisions :).

hehe also be sure you wanna spend months working/months holiday

my advice:
a] do a try dive
b] if you like it join a BSAC club
c] do more dives with said club find out if anyone is/was comercial ask them for advice
d] try some deco dives (prolly take you a while to get to good enough level beats me what it is in BSAC maybe sports diver or something)
e] make sure this is what you want/maybe attend next diving show in london LIDS (must be ages away since it happened just recently) to find out more info
f] be really really sure you want to go / understand dangers and stuff

afaik someone on here does it maybe its Stan? askhim for as much info as possible!

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
My first advice would be to give diving a try. The best route for this would be BSAC or PADI, BSAC is cheaper but slower whereas PADI is international.

BSAC is international as well ;) we have a club in singapore ;)

It is true what you say though PADI is v.expensive and BSAC is cheaper but way slowerto qualify.

I think BSAC divers are safer though due to the time and repeated effort to pass. Padi is 4 days +/- for open water. Bsac ocean diver takes about 3 months but you gave had hours more pool time.

plus for the BSACs 130 odd quid a year you can do as many courses as you can fit in. PADI is pay per learn, costing 180+ per go :(

Pile
Another
Doller
In

;)

next big dive show is October i think at the NEC

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I don't mean like a civil engineer or anything, I mean like welding, grinding etc, don't know what divers do though really

You mean someone with a trade? You dont get a trade from going to uni, you learn it like an apprenticeship.

KaHn

Soldato
Pebbles said:
A friend trained as a commercial diver a few years back. The course was very expensive, the work was very dangerous and the pay was almost worth it. Last time I saw him he was a dustman.

Well from what I can see the pay is very very good, but the work is dangerous to a degree, but thats the same with all walks in life.

KaHn

Soldato
KaHn said:
Well from what I can see the pay is very very good, but the work is dangerous to a degree, but thats the same with all walks in life.

KaHn

Deep sea commercial diver......milk man.......hmmmmm :p

Sorry, I'm kidding, but it was (about 10 years ago) damned dangerous. Might be a bit different now though.

Soldato
Pebbles said:

Sorry, I'm kidding, but it was (about 10 years ago) damned dangerous. Might be a bit different now though.

My mate who does it sort of lerks on the forums, hes home at the mo so will give him a shout later, he will probs pop his head in.

KaHn

Soldato
The_blue said:
BSAC is international as well ;) we have a club in singapore ;)

It is true what you say though PADI is v.expensive and BSAC is cheaper but way slowerto qualify.

I think BSAC divers are safer though due to the time and repeated effort to pass. Padi is 4 days +/- for open water. Bsac ocean diver takes about 3 months but you gave had hours more pool time.

plus for the BSACs 130 odd quid a year you can do as many courses as you can fit in. PADI is pay per learn, costing 180+ per go :(

Pile
Another
Doller
In

;)

next big dive show is October i think at the NEC

True men dive using just their lungs, yeah, apnea for the win.

Soldato
Pebbles said:

Diving is dangerous anyway... there shouldn't be TOO much danger although I really wouldn't fancy being underwater in a storm...

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Diving is dangerous anyway... there shouldn't be TOO much danger although I really wouldn't fancy being underwater in a storm...

Remember when sex was safe and diving was dangerous?

Back
Top Bottom