Default audio source

Soldato
Hi guys,

With the recent purchase of my new monitor and gpu, I now appear to regularly lose my speakers as the default method of sound output... I never manually need to change this setting/

Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg

My monitor doesn't even have speakers I don't think?! It's a simple adjustment to switch back to speakers, but I don't usually find out until I'm in game. Not a biggie really, but annoying all the same...

Any thoughts?

Soldato
It doesnt have speakers, but it does have a headphone output so that's why it appears as a playback device. You can disable devices you dont need in settings >> sound >> manage sound devices . click on a device and you'll see the option to disable it. That should stop it switching around.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Windows 10 tries to be a bit too clever and if a device disconnects or goes into a power saving state often changes to another device based on some priority or other - there doesn't seem to be an easy way to fix it permanently to one device.

To my knowledge other than some complicated scripting there is no easy way other than as james said above with disabling other devices but that doesn't always work fully as sometimes after updates Windows will mess around with your audio settings - quite annoying when someone leaves their system on 24x7 and an out of hours update switches audio output to their speakers with the result of music or whatever blaring out at 2am which was previously playing into their headphones.

Soldato
Sorry windows 11 also does it
At least all the preview builds so far
Have done it to me
It's a minor pita
But I have never looked into a way around it
As it's a couple of clicks to fix
Could you guess make a macro and run it when it happens

Back
Top Bottom