• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Defective pads and too hot GDDRX6 memory – silicon alert on the GeForce RTX 3080, 3080 Ti & 3090

Associate
I guess so although I did keep the old pads just incase, I would still try to RMA as there is nothing to lose.
Well there is something to lose if they reject your RMA as a result of your tinkering with the product.

Don't get me wrong I understand why you did it, but you're taking quite a large risk imho, conversely once its past its warranty period then it makes a lot of sense.

Associate
Apparently it isn't just 3000 series cards, according to this a 2080ti can quickly end up performing like a 2060, https://youtu.be/-kPUq-q8tT8?t=62
If this holds true for the 3090, then 3090 owners can look forward to the performance of a 3060
Yes, but having spent at x4.5 times as much (at MSRP), those 3090 owners must have earned at least their place at the Elite Gamer's Pay-To-Sit Table!

Wonder how much of a performance hit the GDDR6X cards would take if underclocking/undervolting the memory to not exceed 70°C or so. Guess about as much as they'd lose if they were equipped with plain GDDR6.

Associate
Igor has been busy, here's another article
https://www.igorslab.de/am-falschen...igsten-pads-bestuecken-wird-sich-das-raechen/
https://www.igorslab.de/en/wrong-en...ics-cards-with-cheapest-pads-will-be-cleared/
(Despite the page names, it looks like he properly translating rächen as revenge in the headline. It's a machine translation but the bits I compared are actually pretty well translated.)

From the plots of the uneven die parts of this have been known since October.

EDIT:
The summary is nice (although the machine translation struggled a bit here):

I can only appeal to manufacturers to regain a little more traction. Then rather a little less RGB and more quality under the hood. In fact, in the long run, it will pay off. It doesn’t always have to be the cheap pad from the Chinese noname butze, you can also buy from Fujipoly, Laird or Ziitek. Yes, it costs a little more, but it benefits everyone in the end. Even the manufacture itself. I actually wrote this article today just to raise awareness of the details a bit and to demand what you as a customer can also expect: quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well there is something to lose if they reject your RMA as a result of your tinkering with the product.

Don't get me wrong I understand why you did it, but you're taking quite a large risk imho, conversely once its past its warranty period then it makes a lot of sense.
I'm prepared to take that risk as it has already paid for itself x3 over with what it's made through mining.

Associate
Talking about Gigabyte and their disintegrating GDDRX6 thermal pads and exploding GP-P750GM/GP-P850GM power supplies, they have now also been hacked!
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...e-giant-gigabyte-hit-by-ransomexx-ransomware/
giphy.gif

Soldato
I feel for them a little bit. I actually like my B450 Auros M board from them. Then again if you try and do dodgy things the internet will find you and exact their revenge like a hyped up Liam Neeson.
giphy.webp

Caporegime
I feel for them a little bit. I actually like my B450 Auros M board from them. Then again if you try and do dodgy things the internet will find you and exact their revenge like a hyped up Liam Neeson.
giphy.webp

Yeah.

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2. brilliant board, solid as a rock. Better VRM's than many other more expensive boards.

Gigabyte choice in thermal pads may not have been ideal but i wouldn't shift the blame entirely on them, Miners are running these GPU's out of spec (For Gaming Cards) the memory IC's are running at over 100c, that's too hot and its not the coolers, they review very well as gaming cards for heat and noise, among the best.

also, don't buy used ex-miners, the memory IC on all of them will be half way to burned out.

Caporegime
I will add my board uses the same 5w/mK thermal pads for the VRMs, they are high quality pads, the grease that's in them is a part of that, its very conductive, the difference is my VRMs don't get to over 100c to turn that grease to the viscosity of water.

Soldato
I swapped the pads on my 3080FE yesterday, I can confirm the pads appear to be made from a mix of white tac and dog hair.
I've also heard rumours of pads still having the foil on them in some cases when people are swapping them out, anyone else heard or seen this?

Replaced them with the Gelid Extremes and knocked 18/20oC off of my temps.

Associate
All the guides I've read for mining tell you to undervolt your core and memory. Is that really doing more than keeping them stock volted while gaming?

Back
Top Bottom