Defective RAM? Ryzen build...

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I know there are a lot of issues currently with RAM and Ryzen but I'm thinking one of the sticks I've got is possibly defective.

So, basically it's a Ryzen 3 1200 running on a Gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 mobo.

Using Corsair vengeance 2x4gb sticks it works fine and is stable. Memory speed runs at 2933. Setup runs using various combinations of memory slots without issue.

Now have got 2x8gb team group dark pro 3200mhz. Using 1 stick I can use any ram slot and get it running stable at 2933 .

Add the second stick though and system won't post at all and the error LEDs light up on the mobo. BUT...if I place that stick in slot 4 (closest to the CPU) then the system keeps turning off and resetting in a loop.

That second stick does not work in any slot at all if used by itself either with any setting e.g lowering speed to 2133.

I've moved the working stick to other slots and it still works fine. No matter where I add the second I get a problem.

I've tried using both the XMP profile and manually entering timings but can't get both sticks to work together.

I think it's probably a defective stick of RAM as opposed to an issue with the set up but thought I'd run it past the experts first. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Indeed.

Now I need to figure what performance gains are to be had by running it at 3200 over the 2933 which is completely stable.

What kind of difference are people seeing going from 2133 to 2933/3200+? Is it worth the hassle?

Is it better to have e.g. 16GB at 2933 or 32GB at 2133?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom