Defective speaker on iPhone 11, my rights?

Soldato
My wifes iPhone 11 speaker has got progressively worse and now she can only hear phone conversations on loud speaker.
The phone is 18 months old and still under contract.

I spoke to O2 and they are saying that there is only a 12 month warranty on the phone.

I know under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 i should be able to expect an item to last a reasonable amount of time.
Also after 6 months it is down to me to prove that there was a manufacturers fault.

Looking on google, it seems to be a fairly common problem on this phone

What should i do?

Anyone else experience this and how was it resolved?

1. Go to an Apple store and pay for a repair? Anyone know how much this is?
2. Get an independent report done, and 'IF' it finds in my favour, go after O2 for a warranty repair?
3. Any other options?

I am thinking option 1 would be the easiest.

Man of Honour
Go to Apple, when they give you the repair price they will ask if you are aware of your rights. Say yes and they should do it for free or offer a substantial discount. If they don't then say your rights are that the product should last a reasonable amount of time and they should offer goodwill.

Man of Honour
This was the case prior to Covid. I'm pretty sure there is an Apple store employee on here who may be able to confirm their latest policy.

Soldato
I work on Macbooks and iMacs for an AASP but it should be similar for iphones (we don't repair phones just yet). Anything under 2 years you can take to any Apple store or AASP (bring proof of purchase, id, something with address) and they should be able to process a consumer law claim for you. If longer than 2 years, then usually you have to take it back to original seller but they can sometimes still try to apply for you. They will inspect it, run some diagnostics and check it against what Apple call a VMI (visual mechanical inspection) checklist and this should tell you it's eligibility etc. Note that any accidental damage could hinder the chances of you claiming. I don't think there are any service programs (or Repair extension programs) for the 11 sound wise so you may not be able to take that route.

Don't pay for anything until you taken it to Apple first, they are generally good at fixing issues which are not through the customers own fault :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s probably just in need of a good clean (tell tale is how it’s got quieter over time)

as for your rights - these are applicable to the original place of purchase.
If your OOW with apple and a clean doesn’t fix it they will replace the screen for £189.
There won’t be a discount offered as wasn’t purchased from Apple so no consumer law applicable to apple

Back
Top Bottom