Dehumidifier - Anyone using one?

Soldato
Our house is an old victorian build which has had relevant repairs to ensure no more damp BUT, it still has that "touch/smell" associated with damp so thought of getting a dehumidifier.

Are they worth the investment?

Do they cost much to run?

Thanks.

Soldato
You shouldn't need to be running a dehumidifier it is simple masking the source of the problem not fixing it.

Lots of people say that but it depends what the cause is. It could be lack of ventilation. For us its just general washing up, showers and cooking. So the dehumidifier means in winter we don't need to have windows open, its not masking anything. In summer we don't use it at all as we leave windows open a bit.
I get the statement is correct if its someone with rising damp or something but for a lot of people a dehumidifier is a way of removing moister without needing to have cold ventilation in the house.

Soldato
OP
The front of our house is next to a road and although not "major", having the window open is an inconvenience owing to the noise so having an appliance on for a few hours would be a worthwhile compromise in my opinion.

Soldato
Lots of people say that but it depends what the cause is. It could be lack of ventilation. For us its just general washing up, showers and cooking. So the dehumidifier means in winter we don't need to have windows open, its not masking anything. In summer we don't use it at all as we leave windows open a bit.
I get the statement is correct if its someone with rising damp or something but for a lot of people a dehumidifier is a way of removing moister without needing to have cold ventilation in the house.
Showers and cooking = inadequate extraction in kitchen and bathroom!

Soldato
We have one for drying clothes in the winter as we have a 1930's house and without it the windows get soaked from the moisture released from the clothes when drying.

Getting another for the kitchen this winter, want one with a humidistat in the kitchen so it comes on and off itself when it needs to

Soldato
Showers and cooking = inadequate extraction in kitchen and bathroom!
Which is what I said lack of ventilation. What do you think the air that is extracted is replaced by.
Its easier for now to use a dehumidifier than fit extractors. When we refurbished both it will be taken care of. Probably still use a dehumidifier now and again though handy when you do things like wash the carpets.

Soldato
You shouldn't need to be running a dehumidifier it is simple masking the source of the problem not fixing it.

That's ludicrous. You could say that about any product that does anything. You shouldn't need a dishwasher, you shouldn't need a driveway.

It's a product of convenience, and they simply are convenient; especially in the uk winter ever where drying clothes outside is impossible.

They also help with a multitude of health issues such as eczema, rhinitis and other skin/respiratory conditions.

Worth 100 quid, and no more pointless than heated clothes racks, or steam irons.

Soldato
There is another option, which is called a positive input unit system

search Nuaire flatmaster, as an example

instead of trying to remove moisture from the air, these pump a very gentle air flow in to the property causing a higher pressure inside which stops any moisture from settling on cold areas/windows etc as the air is constantly moving. It also filters the air coming in

i have this is two properties and it solved condensation and damp problems over night

Soldato
That's ludicrous. You could say that about any product that does anything. You shouldn't need a dishwasher, you shouldn't need a driveway.

It's a product of convenience, and they simply are convenient; especially in the uk winter ever where drying clothes outside is impossible.

They also help with a multitude of health issues such as eczema, rhinitis and other skin/respiratory conditions.

Worth 100 quid, and no more pointless than heated clothes racks, or steam irons.
Lol did you seriously just compare a dehumidifier to a driveway?

Soldato
I made a comparative statement using your logic to other conveniences. Why have a driveway when you could park on the road and walk to your house?

I didn't compare a dehumidifier to a driveway, no.

Any thoughts on the rest or?

Edit: i'm really struggling to post on my phone, though. Clearly I lack convenience.

Back
Top Bottom