Deks's VR thread

Associate
Hi all,

As you may have seen I've just bought the Valve Index and am like a kid in sweet shop. Lol in real life i'm a life long gamer back to a Binatone pong box, through Atari console (before it was called an Atari 2600), Atari 400 and 800, Commador 500 and then through the PC iterations.

Anyway I thought I'd put my ramblings in this thread to keep it one place and if peeps want to they can ignore this thread :) I just want to share my experiences and I apologise if my posts are pretty random.

Ok here goes......

Associate
OP
So far i've played Beat Saber, Apollo 11 HD and Superhot VR.

Beat Saber is amazing, i'm new to it but my god this is one I can see myself playing a lot.

Apollo 11 HD. I'm as far as landing on the moon. I am a space nut and for under 4 quid this is the closest I have been to experiencing the achievements by Neil, Buzz and Mike.

Superhot VR is awesome so far, i expected an avera6gd shooter, i didnt expect how to be stopping timd and reliving being in the Matrix!

I loaded up BoxVR tonight before bed. I reckon this will be a good one for a decent workout. I don't excercise because of my bad back so hopefully this will be some motivation to at least get some exercise. I did take my pain killers earlier to help me keep the pain levels down.

I hope my ramblings help those who dont have VR of have experienced it to see a noobies experience to this technology.

So far I love it, it is one of the biggest most amazing experiences in PC gaming I have had in my lifetime!

Soldato
Incredible isn't it? I've also been gaming since the days of Pong and the Atari VCS, the arcades, and though to the ZX81, Commodore 64, Amiga, Snes, PC... There have been some incredible experiences over the years but virtually (no pun intended) nothing compares with the time I put on an Oculus Rift and was amazed that I had almost full hand presence. It was like I was there. I was interacting with a Robot and waving at him and seeing him wave back. Incredible.

Then experiencing VR racing sims with a wheel and pedals, Elite with flight stick and throttle, and flying a WW2 plane in IL2. (I once flew in a real Chipmunk trainer, and IL2 was giving me flashbacks to that time, it was that real).

Then recently using my Oculus Quest in large playspaces, untethered with full freedom of movement - a glimpse of the future of VR. I can't get enough!

Associate
Thrill of the fight is a great workout and a great game too.

I've picked up a few titles from the steam sale. Dirt 2, even with a gamepad it's great and elite dangerous, which for a fiver is looking impressive.

I'm lucky enough to have an index and one of the reasons I went for it was the idea of Valve bringing out VR games that made good use of it's functionality so I'm really looking forward to Half Life Alyx next year, I think it's looking mighty fine. Boneworks is out next week which will hopefully be a nice distraction until HLA, but they do seem to have slashed a lot of the visuals for the sake of the physics so we shall see.

Have you tried google earth yet? :D

Soldato
Eurotruck Simulator is surprisingly immersive in VR too. When driving on a motorway IRL I often put my elbow on the windowsill to rest it. I automatically did that in Euro Truck Sim and almost fell out of the chair as I lurched sideways :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies all. I will check oug thd suggestions :) . I love the community we are forming and I hope this tech becomes mainstream.

I played Beat Saber again today. My back is holding out so far. When I first played it was awkward and my brain was struggling with the sequences, now im kind of dancing and the movements are getting more natural. This is bloody good :)

I also did 20 mins in BoxVr. I like this too. Its not a boxing game its a fitness program. Again my back is holding out so far so im excited this could become my excercise program. Ive been poorly for a long time and hopefully this can help me have fun and lose some weight,

Thanks all fof the comments and recommendations

Soldato
Superhot blew my mind when I played it (on PSVR at the time). I was like this is NEXT LEVEL.

It seems to me like you're enjoying the more arcadey games. Your wallet is going to hate me for saying this but consider buying an Oculus Quest for games like Superhot, Thrill of the fight, as the lack of a tether and a potential infinite play space makes them AMAZING.

Associate
OP
I need to read up on the quest. I dont mind spending money as at yhdt end of the day its only money :).

I did a session of BoxVr before settling down fof drinjs (lots) and a film. I played topless (oo err) and I didnt likd thd feel of the wire on my skin.

Anyone else played BoxVr? Im still a massive noob but I have high hopes this can be my mrans to lose s little weight. Im still struggling on beginner getting the punches to time but im slightly breathing harder which is good for me due to my health issues.

I am still absolutely loving anc thankx for thd suggestions

Soldato
Anyone else played BoxVr? Im still a massive noob but I have high hopes this can be my mrans to lose s little weight. Im still struggling on beginner getting the punches to time but im slightly breathing harder which is good for me due to my health issues.

I play Box VR when the weather is too bad for running. To be honest the best part of the exercise is the squats, but the game never tells you which exercise routines have the most/least squats which is annoying. As I do a lot of running and have good cardiovascular fitness (though the rest of me is falling to bits :rolleyes:) I find Box VR doesn't really do much for me for cardio, but what it does do is exercise my upper body and make me more flexible. For someone who is less fit it'll be a good way to get more active. Just be careful not to overdo it with the force of the punching. I ended up with tennis/golf elbow for a while, when I tried to punch harder.

The wire is annoying when playing it, but the Quest version just feels off - there's a noticeable delay between you swinging and your hits registering, so it's not as fun to me, which is a shame because the freedom you get with wireless is amazing.

The most intense workout in VR is Thrill of the Fight. I can play BoxVR for 40 minutes no problem. I'm done after 5 in Thrill Of The Fight. :eek: :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the post Ravenger. Due to health and pain down leg due to tethered nerve in spine I have to be careful and cant overdo things. I did an hour on BoxVR yesterday i kind of have mixed feelings atm but am always up for suggestions if anything is better.

Im finding the hitbox a big frustrating on BoxVR buf hopefully it will improve. I find on the uppercuts or sideswings you need to punch early. I might set gloves 3 inch forward in settings.

Ive looked at thrill of the fight. It's only £6.99 so its really affordable my only worry its free space and I really need standing only. Do you think its playable standing only?

Thanks

Mike
T

Soldato
I have a very small playspace in my attic. Thrill of the fight works fine, but you do need a small amount of space to step back into your 'corner' and to stand on a weighing machine.

Have you tried beat saber for exercise? That's a standing experience but gives good cardio on the higher levels. Also Pistol Whip can get your body moving and that's a standing experience, though it's not amazing for cardio.

Associate
OP
I have a very small playspace in my attic. Thrill of the fight works fine, but you do need a small amount of space to step back into your 'corner' and to stand on a weighing machine.

Have you tried beat saber for exercise? That's a standing experience but gives good cardio on the higher levels. Also Pistol Whip can get your body moving and that's a standing experience, though it's not amazing for cardio.

For the sake of 7 quid I'll buy Thrill of the Fight. I love beat saber. Im pretty rubbish. My main challenge has come with no 11 in the campaign. Im overwhelmed how hard it it is but i'll keep practising and Im looking forward to getting to sweat when i can handle how fast it is :)

Back
Top Bottom