DELETED_23244

Soldato
vaultingSlinky said:
Ive been recently listening to this genre of music a lot more, particularly Tiger Army (although im sure some people argue that these arent strictly psycho) and Nekromantix.

Which bands are similar to this kind of music, i dont like psycho bands like Mad Sin, i saw them live and didnt like them too much

Cheers

Slinky

I like a nice bit of King Kurt, Cramps & The Meteors.

Soldato
The only trouble with psychobilly is it's close relationship with rockabilly, it's one short step to cranking out the Stray Cats, another to the Brian Setzer Orchestra and then before you know it your missus is insisting on you taking jive lessons for your wedding reception (true story!)

Man of Honour
Cuchulain said:
Pretty much, it's been around for donkeys years too.

During the early 80's I played guitar, bass and drums in various rockabilly bands gigging all over the country. We played covers of old Johnny Burnette, Carl Perkins and SUN Elvis songs etc and I even put my long curly hair into a quiff. Many times we had psychobilly bands supporting us and it nearly always ended up in a fight because the rockabillys hated the psychobilly's and vice versa.
I used to stand at the back and watch the psychobilly's play and there was no difference except their quiffs were sticking up and ours were sticking out and of course the lyrics were different. I lost all interest in the mid 80's when i joined a rock band but Brian setzer is still one of my heroes and I still collect his stuff.

Suspended
vaultingSlinky said:
And arcade fire, have you listened to gorgol bodello? Gypsy Punk, you might like that, its pretty funny
Bizarrely enough, I have - I was at a mate's field party and one of the girls had brought along a bunch of CDs - mostly Bob Dylan, J.J. Cale kind of stuff but she had this weird gypsy punk album which I thought was awesome at the time (this was about three years ago) which turned out to be Gorgol Bodello. It was fun. She also introduced me to Flogging Molly, another group which I gave a lot of love to for a while.

Suspended
While we're on the topic, anyone who's interested should check out Defiance Ohio, Rosa and Ghost Mice. I think they're normally labelled as 'folk punk'. Punk takes on other styles of music are almost always fun - except for ska punk, of course, which largely sucks. Exceptions granted to Capdown, Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto, but otherwise I think it's pretty true.

I'd be keen for hearing some jazz punk. Any takers? :D

Soldato
Defiance, Ohio are awesome. I've also heard them labelled as Anarcho-Punk, which is also awesome.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for putting me onto them, Arcade_Fire! I will love you forever!

But on the topic of Psychobilly, I'm a fan :)

I need to dig further, but I'm currently liking Nekromantix, the Meteors, Demented Are Go!, and Horrorpops. Horrorpops are pretty much psychobilly-lite but are awesome too.

Must check out Tiger Army.

Back
Top Bottom