delid cooling options

Soldato
Hi all i need some help, the other day i delidded my i5 8600k cpu and i have bought a delid die guard from ebay to secure the bare chip in place, I have a ek supremacy waterblock and was wondering if the EKSupremacy PreciseMount Add-on 115x would work with this.
The kit is desinged for ivy bridge but its the lga 115x that caught my eye and from the looks of it, it may fit but need some advice.
i also have a asus maximus x hero wifi z370 mobo, there are a number of caps in close proximity of the cpu socket and am hopeful my block will fit at the new lower height with out hitting them

cheers

wookiee

Man of Honour
Don't use it with the bare die. Many of us on here tried this with out Haswell cpu's and the precise mount kit and had much worse temps than with the IHS back on. It's better to spread some CLU/Conductonaut on the die and then put the IHS back on and clamp it down. I used liquid engine gasket to stick my IHS back on so I don't have to mess around with it when removing the cpu. I have done a pair of Haswell cpu's (i5 4670k/i7 4790k) with these methods and temps have seem massive drops, 15-18 degrees C on the i5 and a whopping 25 degrees C on the i7. Running the bare die was barely any better than before they were delidded.

Soldato
OP
right oh, at the moment i'm using artic silver 5 between the die and the ihs then the same between the ihs and block, temps have dropped around 10 degrees at the moment, was looking at liqid metal but to be honest it scares the crap out of me, one slip and bye bye pc, the problem is most of my cores have dropped 59 - 63 degrees but one is staying the same before the delid at 78 degrees. during the tim apply i made sure to use a spatular tool (end of a old card i have) to smooth out and get a very nice sperad on the die its self, but its just that one damm core running a bit hot, i have booted in at 5.2ghz but soon crash as that core goes nuclear. (i'm at 5ghz at 1.3v at the moment)

is it better to reseal the ihs or leave it loose after deildding also, got conflicting methods some say yes others no?

thank you for the help

Soldato
You could try reapplying the TIM.
Was that core running hotter than the rest before the delid? If not it suggests Tim application.

If you've fitted the die guard, you could also try removing it, as process of elimination.

I just left my ihs loose and held in place with the motherboard clamp, the only down side to that really is you'll have to remember if you ever unclaimed it.

Soldato
OP
the temp on the hottest core was before and after the delid, the other 5 cores have dropped by 10 degrees, i dont have the guard yet i'm using the motherboard clamp to secure and i have the ihs loose on top being held in place with the mainboard cpu clamp, may look at reaplying as i need to alter my loop so would be the ideal time, if that doesnt sort it i will reluctantly look at liqud metal

Soldato
OP
i took the plunge and have ordered some Conductonaut liquid metal, i need to sort out my loop as the other day i spotted a small slow leak from the pump so when i fix this i will access the cpu, regarding the liqid metal whats the best application method for it, do i apply on the die and the underside of the ihs and then on top between the ihs and the waterblock, i have a nickel plated block as well will this casue issues or will it be ok?

Man of Honour
Just on the die itself and use sparingly, a little goes a long way with this stuff. You need to spread it with the applicator (cotton bud type thing) that comes with it. I don't believe the 8600k has a line of transistors beside the die so you don't have to worry about getting it anywhere else. I wouldn't use it between the IHS and block, especially a nickel one as it stains and is a pig to remove. Just use a quality tim such as Kryonaut (it's what I use) between the block and IHS. If you want to stick the IHS back down permanently you could use some black liquid gasket which is similar to the stuff Intel uses. I use Wynns liquid gasket because I had a big tube from when I did the sump on my car but this one will do the job just as well. Just put a little around the inside edge of the IHS and place it back on the cpu, fit it to the motherboards cpu socket and put your finger on it when you lock it down. Tighten the cpu block up and it will fully set in a couple of hours. You don't have to worry about the IHS coming off when you next remove the cpu then.

Soldato
OP
nice thanks for the info, especially not using it between the ihs and nickel waterblock as i dont want it to stain, with regards to re sealling the ihs is that a must or would it be ok to run with it sat on top of the die (as long as the ihs doenst slip when securing it with the mainboard bracket).
when i delidded the chip all i saw was the die and a small row of 3 gold pins to the one side, the gap between them was farily big so shouldn't be a issue as long as i'm careful

Soldato
The ihs can't go anywhere when it's clamped down by the motherboard socket clamp, it'll be fine, just remember it's not stuck on whenever you want to remove the CPU in future.

Soldato
OP
just a quick update my liqid metal turned up today, and got straight down to disasembling my pc, got the cpu out and very carefully applied the metal to the die and the underside of the ihs, put it all back together and fired her up, and idle temps were in the low 20's, then ran the divison which is a fairly cpu heavy game and i was shocked to see the max core temp was 56 degress with all the cores within 4 dergrees of each other which is a hell of a lot better than before, i'll keep an eye on the temps but if they stay like this i will shoot for 5.1ghz :), i'm running artic silver 5 between the ihs and the waterblock which is fine for now but may look at Kryonaut for extra temp drops

Back
Top Bottom