• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Delidded, paste longevity?

Soldato
I delidded a 4770k I picked up cheap and didn't give the paste to much thought. Just wanted to use something non conductive to avoid any disasters.

I've used noctua nt-h1 and initial temps are much better. A good 20 degree drop but now I'm starting to read that these sort of temps only last a few weeks with paste due to "pump out" and temps soon start to rise.

As delidding has been around for a while now what pastes have you guys used and what has their longevity been like? Don't fancy redoing my paste once a month.

I didn't stick the IHS back down either, just removed the sealant and clamp it down with the socket clip.

Last edited:
Associate
I used both CLU and CLP for delidding both an i5 3570k and an i7 3770k and the stuff was good for a year and even then I re-pasted cause I wanted to rather than actually needing to do it.

Associate
Once a month sounds a bit excessive, but some thermal pastes do degrade over time.

A few people use liquid metal type TIM between the die and IHS (after insulating any resistors / contacts around the die). However the jury is still out on how safe that is in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom