Dell 2407WFP + Playstation 2

Associate
Need help (again :cool: )

I have just got my new Dell 2407WFP and it is a beauty!! Problem is I have attached my daughters Sony Playstation 2 into it and whilst I can get a picture, I have no sound! I didnt buy a Dell 'soundbar' because I like my own PC's soundblaster/speaker setup but this doesnt help my PS2 :eek: Will I have to buy a 'soundbar' or am I just stoopid? My wee daughter hasnt shouted yet, but she is playing her games with no sound!!!

Thanks again for all your help

Bob

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply Fireskull!

There is no seperate sound output (as far as I can see) other than the white/yellow/red & s-video cable linking the Dell monitor and the PS2. Just seems annoying that I have to buy a Dell speaker even though I have 2 perfectly good speakers on my desktop already :(

Soldato
Also all PS2's came with a audio cable adapter, so the white and red connectors on one end and the green 3.5mm jack on the other end which you can plug in to your Sub.. correct me if I am wrong.

Associate
OP
The PS2 has a cable running from it with red/white/yellow plugs and a s-video connection that I have put into the Dell monitor. Is it possible to just connect the s-video into the monitor (this will give picture) and somehow use the red/white/yellow plugs to feed the soundcard? My sub doesnot have any inputs apart from those used bu the speakers (its a crappy Packard Bell job lol)

Thanks for the help gang :)

Bob

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Hi,

Yes it is possible. You need a cable which will turn the white/red (left/right channels) phono connectors into a single 3.5mm (headphone jack style) input which you can then feed into your sound cards 'line in'

These are officially known as 'RCA to 3.5mm' cables, in the form you want you need an 'RCA female to 3.5mm male' cable. Google will sort you out, from the images it will be obvious if you've found the right one and how it works.

Ste

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have sourced a HAMA Cable Adapter 3.5 mm Plug - 2 RCA (phono) Jack via google :) Will this cable plug into the 'green' line-in jack on the soundcard (meaning I have to get under the desk to switch everytime she plays the PS2?) or can i buy an adapter to take both the PC speakers and the PS2 connector? (we are soo soooo close to a solution both my wee un and me are drooling lol)

thanks again - really appreciate the help)

/bob

Ste

Ste

Soldato
That cable goes into your line-in and your speakers are plugged into the line-out, there is no switching cable (unless you have another device plugged into line-in you've not mentioned)

The signal will pass through your soundcard passively, as long as your PC is on, and you will hear the PS2 through your speakers, as well as any PC audio.

If you want to run it through your PC speakers when the PC is off you are really looking at an external switching box, or better still an upgrade to a cheap amplifier and separate speakers which is the best solution for this kind of thing.

Associate
hmm ive looked everywhere and cant find an s video cable, i also have the monitor but the only way i can get it to show video is through the yellow jack but the quality is awful. Anyone comment on this?

Soldato
jolly_dodger said:
hmm ive looked everywhere and cant find an s video cable, i also have the monitor but the only way i can get it to show video is through the yellow jack but the quality is awful. Anyone comment on this?

Hmmm i cant seem to find a S-Video cable anywhere either :s you not got a spare with any graphics cards youve got lol? i must have hundreds lying around lol

Back
Top Bottom