Dell 3007 WFP-HC "Deadzone" @ 2560x1600?

Soldato
Howdy,

Can anybody else here tell me if they have this problem too? Im assuming its the resolution of 2560x1600 doing this and not Vista/Dell or Grpahics card as I never had this before on a lower res on my old TFTs.

I have a "deadzone" in the lower part of my TFT, when I say deadzone I mean when the mouse hovers over there its unclickable? For example, if I where in Photoshop and had the marquee tool on, the cursor turns to a little cross, if I go over this dead/inactive part of the screen the cursor goes to an arrow like nothing is there? It does it on all Windows apps, I cannot click on any apps in that part of the screen?

I've done a little mockup drawing of the rough (I cannot emphasis the word rough enough) area of the screen that is dead (its the red square?!?!?!):

deadzone.gif

Anyone have this problem at this res? Or know what it is doing it? Or how I can fix it? It can get a little annoying sometimes :)

ta

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
That sounds like a software fault to me, I don't see exactly how that could be the monitor, preventing mouseclicks...

Soldato
OP
That sounds like a software fault to me, I don't see exactly how that could be the monitor, preventing mouseclicks...

Yeah I agree, I certainyl don;t think its the DEll 3007 doing it, but I think its something to do with the resolution of 2560x1600 screwing it up. So a combination of 2560x1600 and Vista, cos if I set my res to 1920x1200 on this monitor, the deadzone is gone and everything is fine.

Soldato
OP
Yeah well graphics driver is always up to date, im on the beta forceware atm, so its not that.

Just downloaded the "latest" driver for my TFT from dell and that was made in 2005 according to the .inf, and windows doesn't install it as it says mine is newer... which I would assume, 3007 wasnt around in 05 was it?

So that didn't work... I wonder if it will do the same in XP? Im certainly not formatted just to test that :)

Associate
You sure you havent got any apps running invisibly. Try clean booting and see if you have the same problem. I dont kow how to do it on Vista though, so ask microsoft on their website.

Associate
This isn't a "Vista" problem, I have Vista + Dell 3007-WFP-HC, as do many other people and don't have any problems. You either have some software affecting it, or a driver... neither of which are Vistas fault.

Soldato
OP
Found out what it is, It was the dodgy Dell driver, it starts up a process called lcdOSD.exe, which is prob the OSD for Dell PCs that non dell pc users cannot see (as starting this up manually does nothing).

I stopped that process and voila, we are all good. Gonna stop it from booting auto and should solve the prob!

Soldato
OP
Yeah, but you guys where obviosuly wiser than me, and didn't install the dell 3007 drivers that come on the Dell CD? I installed the software, that gave me an extra "Dell 3007WFP-HC" tab in the displaysetting Advanced area of Windows. This also installed the invisible OSD that only Dell Pcs can see, this "deadzone" that was on my screen must have been where the OSD would appear on a Dell PC... instead I just had a dead area :)

I have unistalled the software, and just used the .inf instead, and lcdOSD.exe doesn't boot up with Windows anymore and its all gone now. So everything is hunky dorey :)

ta

Back
Top Bottom