Dell laptop

Permabanned
PC-M Vip3r said:
Just don't go near Dell full stop. Build your own it's cheaper

Build your own laptop? Errrrrr.

Ive got a Inspirion 9300 at home, always switched on all the time. Been good as gold touch wood!

*skip forward 2hrs when i get home - house on fire* :(

Soldato
PC-M Vip3r said:
Just don't go near Dell full stop. Build your own it's cheaper

No it's not, over the last 3 months (using various e-value codes) I've got machines that are FAR cheaper than building one even on the tightest budget.

The last one was a Celeron D 2.8ghz, 19" Dell TFT, 1gb of DDR2, modem, All in one Printer/Scanner (Dell branded), mouse, keyboard, motherboard (obviously), 80gb HDD, Windows XP Home. DVD Rom/CDRW combo drive.

Try building that to a budget of £376 including VAT and delivery.

Soldato
Energize said:
Dells use custom mobos though, crap.

Yep, and the cases/PSU's are all propriatry (sp) but if you're buying a PC for someone who only wants it for internet/word processing etc then you really can't go far wrong at their prices. (so long as you use an Evalue code)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Acer, good? I cant see the two words together, the school uses these because they were the cheapest to buy and it really shows, they have loads of problems and they practically fall apart. On two of them the sound doesnt work properly no matter how many times you install the drivers, on another one the hard drive is completley screwed and on another when you try to install windows the screen goes funny colours and then turns itself off.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cuchulain said:
Yep, and the cases/PSU's are all propriatry (sp) but if you're buying a PC for someone who only wants it for internet/word processing etc then you really can't go far wrong at their prices. (so long as you use an Evalue code)

what the hell is an Evalue code?

Caporegime
Lost-Prophet said:
true. I've been staying away from our Dell laptop since I saw that thread :eek:

what could possibly make a laptop do that? did the cpu fan stop spinning? did someone insert a floppy disk with gunpowder glued onto it? or was his name ethan hunt and the message was set to self destruct after 10 seconds? :D :D

Caporegime
The batteries are lithium based, not very safe when you think about it. It's not the only time lithium batteries have exploded.

Last edited:
Soldato
GnaR™ said:
Heh. I saw that the other day, theres another great reason not to buy a Dell/pre-built.

You don't really have much choice when it comes to notebooks though, do you?

I've got a Dell notebook, I'm certainly not going to don a bomb technician suit just because of an isolated incident.

Back
Top Bottom