Dell R640 can't see HP Tape Library

Soldato
Got a Dell R640 a customer wants to attach a HP MSL4048 tape library with 4x LTO 5 drives in it to.

I told him to buy a SAS HBA from Dell to prevent any warranty issuesa nd they supplied a Dell 12G SAS HBA card which we've installed and can see it in Windows.

We cannot see the tape library though. It's like it's not connected. We're using a MiniSAS HD to 4 Mini SAS fan out cable.

There's no settings I can see to change on the HBA other than Legacy BIOS enable/disable and I've tried both. It shows in OpenManage Server Administrator but again there's nothing to configure.

I've not done much with Dell for years and these the libraries just work connected to HPE servers.

Any ideas welcome.

Associate
there shouldnt be an issue with that config.

does the cards bios see it?
are you sure its not in other devices? i assume you have plugged a tape library in before.
what mode is the library in?

Soldato
OP
I have resolved this now. Looks like the cable wasn't properly connected! Moving the SAS cable from Port 0 to Port 1 put the link light on and the drives appeared in Windows.

The server was in UEFI mode which means you can't see the SAS HBA BIOS during boot. I had to put the main BIOS in Legacy mode which allowed me to access the HBA BIOS with Ctrl+C during the boot process. Looking at SAS Topology in the BIOS showed no devices so I asked the customer to check the cabling. All good now.

Back
Top Bottom