Dell S2716DG TN - Is it time to upgrade?

Associate
Hey guys,

For the most part I've been enjoying this monitor. I like the size, the fact that it has a good refresh rate at 1440p and the minimalist design. With that said the colour banding (I think that's what it is) in darn scenes is extremely noticeable and the colours don't quite seem right, even after calibration.

If I upgraded to something like the Odyssey G7 which is currently £420 would I notice a big difference in picture quality? For around a £500 price range are there better monitors?

I am...

- Playing in a dimly lit environment
- Mostly using the computer for gaming and movie watching
- Playing single player immersive games
- Looking for something at 1440p with G-Sync

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dimly lit environment would definitely prefer FALD backlight in case of IPS with VA having otherwise major advantage.

Though for Odyssey G7 you have to remember its insane curvature from fat arse of Samsung's marketing bending panel double.
Such extreme field curvature would have to be taken into account in rendering to avoid heavier distortion than in the worst bottle bottom CRT.
https://youtu.be/go1qsBetgV0?t=203

Soldato
Probably a massive difference in picture quality - I have 2 of thse S2716DG TNs myself. A great monitor for gaming but has the limitations of the TN panel and it seemed like the gamma was too high out of the box. You could also consider the newer Dell 2721DGFA - 27" 1440p IPS 165Hz. Both would be miles better for watching movies I suspect :)

Man of Honour
One thing I don't like with my S2716DG - if I'm not careful I get a burn in like effect, but only along the edge of high contrast, from static content :( though it isn't burn in as it goes away after a bit if you don't keep displaying the same content in the same part of the screen.

It was a little tricky but I managed to get the colours calibrated OK - not really noticed much in the way of banding issues in dark content though I do have the brightness at only moderate levels which might hide a certain amount of it - there were a few different revisions of the panel used in these and the Asus ROG Swift monitor which uses the same internals though and some are better than others in respect to colours and banding - I went through a few of the Asus version (RMAs) with different results before eventually ditching the Asus due to problems.

Associate
OP
After much thought I have a feeling that the curvature on the G7 will annoy me over time. Which puts me back where I started. The LG 27GP850-B has had a lot of praise but the contrast puts me off. The Asus PG329Q looks interesting too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought the Samsung G7 myself and the scan lines and inversion annoyed me, the curve isn't bad when you get use to it, stuttering/flickering with "G-Sync Compatible" is another reason it got returned, they're releasing a 4k/240hz monitor later in the year but wouldn't ever consider it after they released the G7 in it's current state, not even the latest firmware helped. Currently considering the AW2721D although I really liked the contrast levels of the G7's VA panel, if you've got £800 to spend then the absolute best is probably the PG279QM IMO but that is insane for what it is.

Associate
OP
I went to see a G7 in person. Ugh... it's not for me. I was looking into the Alienware, it does look good. I wish I had a calibration tool though. I don't want to spent £100 for something I'd rarely use.

Associate
OP
Going to bite the bullet on the Alienware AW2721D. All reviews have been very positive. It's pricey but it seems to be the monitor with the least compromises. Have you guys tried it?

Soldato
Going to bite the bullet on the Alienware AW2721D. All reviews have been very positive. It's pricey but it seems to be the monitor with the least compromises. Have you guys tried it?
Did you buy this in the end? Got the S2716DG myself and just wondering if there's anything out there that's better at the same size (27"), had the monitor for about 4 years I think and getting the upgrade itch!

Associate
I bought it oct 2021 to replace my s2716dg i use a spyder x elite calibrator and colors really pop i have also set it to the extreme mode which in games is very responsive . btw also be aware samdung monitors have a very poor quality rates tbh

Associate
I would definitely recommend the g7 32" as that price its a bargain. The curve you don't notice (i had my doubts) and its easier on the eyes. The G7 has had firmware updates, no issues for me. I play games on it, its stunning. I use a dell 24 and a G7.

Associate
I just sold my 2 x S2716DGs and got my eye on this G8 Neo. Got both Next-gen consoles, so I'm really after something which will make use of them. And a bigger screen too! Originally was debating the new LG 42" OLED, but I want to see more of the G8 before I bite the bullet.

Soldato
I've had the S2721DGF for almost a week now and I have to say I'm underwhelmed with it. Even though I have calibrated it, it just doesn't feel any different (to me anyway) to my S2716DG. It's probably my aged eyes but I couldn't really tell the difference when playing games and I don't watch movies on it. Back to the S2716DG and it just feels a lot better, perhaps weird but there you go.

Associate
I have the S2719DGF and am waiting for the AOC Q24G2. 23.8", 1440p, IPS 165Hz.

I have found since I switched from my old LG W2363D to the S2719DGF I have not done as well in FPS games, tried a 24.5" Dell S2522HG and I did way better but the 1080p looks like arse after being on 1440p for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom