Dell Streak...5inch Android Tablet Coming in June to O2

Associate
Just found out about this rather intersting Android Tablet coming to O2 in June.

Most specifically June 4th.

Linkys

It's a 5inch Tablet PC (So if this belongs in the Laptops/PDA section, please move this)

Capacitive touch screen with a maximum resolution of 800x480.

With toughed glass for scratch resistance.

It will initially be running Android 1.6 however Dell have said that it will receive an update to V2.2 [Froyo] Later in the year.

Built in Wifi, Bluetooth and 3G for connectivity.

It has 16GB of on board storage and a Card slot for expansion of up to 48GB.

It is powered by the SnapDragon Processor running at 1GHz.

It has 2 Cameras - One 5MP camera on the back with Dual LED Flash for photos and recording video, and one front facing camera.

safe_image.php

safe_image.php

safe_image.php

safe_image.php

Could be a nice alternative to the iPad for out and about portability, no mention of price yet though.

Caporegime
Oooh nice...i like Dell products some of their lappys are nice.

Hmmm if my ipad doesnt come through, asked my old man to pick one up for me from America then i might look into getting one of these instead.

Associate
Looks pretty tasty :) I'd seriously consider buying an Android slate/netbook if one came out with all the right specs..

Associate
it looks nice but imo it's too big to be an everyday phone and too small to be a tablet just cant see it having much of a market tbh also 1.6 :( .

Man of Honour
Looks like a slim N900 with Android :p

Will be interesting to see how it fares, doesn't appear to do anything overly special, will depend on it's pricing I suppose!

Associate
No HDMI output?

Looking at it, besides the screen size, it doesn't seem too have a lot going for it.
Watching the video on the link provided by op seems to reiterate my point. Didnt finish watching all of it but the Dell guy keeps going about how good Android and the 5" screen are.

Soldato
watching the video makes me appreciate just how good the htc desire is - can do all of streaks jobs and the sense's UI is way better. 5" is way too big for a phone.

Soldato
Depending on pricing, and if I can get a decent summer job, this will be my next phone. Perfect size/res for web browsing, apps and on-screen keyboards. It'll still fit in my jacket pocket so it's portable enough for me.

Associate
OP
it looks nice but imo it's too big to be an everyday phone and too small to be a tablet just cant see it having much of a market tbh also 1.6 :( .

In the blurb, Dell have stated that it will be getting the latest version 2.2 later this year. Whether this is down to O2 or Dell rolling it out is another thing but it will be getting the latest version.

In terms of physical connectivity, HDMI connectivity I can't see why this would be such a huge negative.

How many phones have HDMI outputs??

(Genuine question as I don't know, I take it the desire does have this?)

As it is an Android Tablet I'm guessing that the Desire has now become the standard measuring stick for all android based devices to be compared to?

Just like the iPhone is used by Stuff and T3 as the stick to measure all other smart phones against??

For some people I think that the portability of it for everyday use is more convenient than the 'bulk' (read general size) of the iPad will make this a nicer and probably cheaper alternative.

5" whilst big for a phone, but small enough to fit into 'most' pockets will make it easier to transport during every day use.

Having not used any Android based device, I couldn't say how browsing is on such a device. But I'm sure it's nicer than Nokia's and with there being a bigger screen it's certainly going to be clearer.

Not sure how well the battery will fare but it should be decent enough.

Soldato
Phones are getting bigger now. 5 years ago a 3 inch screen would be called a "brick" now we are saying 3 inch screens are slick.

I first saw the HTC HD2 in the flesh with its 4.3" screen and thought that it was just too big. Then Having used the Nexus one 3.7" screen i am now of the opinion that a bigger screen is a better form factor and im wanting a bigger screen size :D

We have the Galaxy-s coming that has a big screen and i reckon this Dell is JUST about at the maximum most users will go 5" screen would be amazing to use as long as its not a problem to carry.

As long as this gets Froyo and good support from Dell i can imagine this doing quite well. Realy dont like the UI dell has put on it though

Man of Honour
And Dell likes to discount products every now and then so this will be much cheaper than an IPad :)

Although I have a Macbook Pro I'm far more interested in an Android based tablet than an IPad.

Soldato
It looks seriously sexy... But I am getting rid of my G2 Touch because it doesn't really have the functionality that I need at this moment in time - Which is why I'm replacing it with a BB Bold 9700.

Otherwise I would be snapping this thing up!

Soldato
[Cas];16624188 said:
It looks seriously sexy... But I am getting rid of my G2 Touch because it doesn't really have the functionality that I need at this moment in time - Which is why I'm replacing it with a BB Bold 9700.

Otherwise I would be snapping this thing up!

what on earth can a blackberry do that an android phone cant? I have both a desire and a blackberry curve 8800 (work phone), and the blackberry doesn't even come close to comparing.

Last edited:
Soldato
what on earth can a blackberry do that an android phone cant? I have both a desire and a blackberry curve 8800 (work phone), and the blackberry doesn't even come close to comparing.

I am sick of not having a proper keyboard/keypad. I send far too many emails and texts to carry on with a touch screen keyboard. If there was a very good Android phone that had a hardware keyboard I would snap it up, but there isn't so I need to look at other options.

The best of the other options in my eyes is a BB Bold 9700. I have nothing against my G2 or android, it's almost entirely because of the keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom