Dell U4025QW - 40" 5120x2160 120Hz

Soldato
Don't think this has been mentioned yet, apologies if I've missed it.

Obviously a productivity-focused screen and there's no mention of VRR so I presume it's just fixed 120Hz refresh but gives me hope for more gaming-focused monitors using the same panel with VRR, maybe from Dell themselves under the Alienware brand?

EDIT: As reported by the Verge, the spec sheet does make a passing reference to "VRR over HDMI 2.1" but nothing more than that.

Last edited:
The panel size is perfect for me, I'm productivity first with gaming secondary and the additional resolution is just what I've been waiting for to warrant upgrade from an AW3418 whilst maintaining a decent refresh.

Though I am very interested to see what else is produced using this panel.

Am in EXACTLY the same position (even using an AW3418DW).

I don't want a ****** OLED monitor! It's totally unsuiited for 10+ hours per day of desktop/productivity work, a lot of which will be in the same applications with the same static elements.

Like the look of this but it looks like the price is going to make it unrealistic.

Shame they don't do the 38" 1600p monitor anymore.

Yeah this particular example looks a bit over-priced and under-specced but it's at least promising that we might get some more 5120x2160 high refresh options down the road.

On the "OLED issue", to clarify, I'm not an anti-OLED zealot, I have a 77" OLED TV and love it to death, they're just not suited to my PC usage patterns.

Last edited:
Yeah, was tempted by this initially, as the idea of a 5k 40" ultrawide sounds like the ultimate productivity solution, but if the price is genuinely over £2000 they can keep it!

Dell list prices usually mean nothing as they often discount heavily. I'd expect something more around the £1500 mark.

And now down to £1605.60 inc VAT on Dell UK site.

Bonkers isn't it? Like 12 hours after it goes up they knock £400 off the price.

Eagerly awaiting reviews of this, especially whether it's full Freesync VRR or just locked to 60/120Hz as this isn't entirely clear. If so I could well drop £1600 on it.

Please do feed back as soon as you've got it up and running as I'd be very interested to hear your impressions, especially as you're coming from the exact same AW3418DW I have :)

Last edited:
Not going to lie the developer in me so wants this monitor :D but the gamer just wouldn't be satisfied with 120hz... However its nice that to see that we're getting so many other options these days, maybe its time I go for separate setups.

I find 120Hz more than enough to be honest, at least for casual gaming. I have tried faster screens but I find the difference fairly minimal.

Besides, you're going to have trouble driving 5120x2160 much above 120Hz anyway :)

Anyone who's ordered received theirs yet?

Mine arrived a day early :D

Copy/Paste from my post on reddit:
Initial reactions are all positive, loving the step up in resolution and the amount of desktop it gives me and of course the image quality and colours are excellent.

Had quick check in POE and BG3 just to see what refresh rates were like, was pleasantly surprised to see my 3080 push them both at around 80-90FPS without any obvious issues - so no immediate need to upgrade the graphics card.

Looks good.

Very interested to hear your impressions from the gaming perspective and how it compares to the AW3418DW.

Can you drive native res at 120Hz over both HDMI and DP? Does Freesync work flawlessly on both connections? How does it feel compared to the Alienware's "proper" G-Sync?

This looks like the perfect size, resolution and kvm/PD I need. My only concern is the difference in image quality compared to an oled. I've never owned an oled monitor but I've been bitten by the hype here. I also have a perfectly fine LG 4k 42" monitor now so I want to justify the cost with a significant visual improvement. Bumping up from 60hz will be nice, kvm will be nice but do these ips black panels really make much of a difference compared to my 5 year old IPS?

"Image Quality" can cover a range of aspects but, if you're primarily productivity focused, as I am, this will outperform an OLED in terms of text clarity.

The AW3423DW could be bought for well under £900 on launch day though, and that's OLED, so infinite blacks with superb colour accuracy. Granted it's not 5120x2160, but we now have such high res OLEDs coming and are set to be cheaper than this IPS Black, and they will naturally have even better specs.

For ref, the DWF is currently under £750 brand new on Dell's site.

As is usually the game, the "professional" monicker has a tax applied to it, even though it doesn't actually have that many "professional" features that your everyday monitor already has (barring the resolution)..It still has backlight bleed, it still has corner bleed, still has glow from any angle that isn't head-on, which will end up being an issue on a 40" display as you cannot look at one without being off-angle for a large portsion of the screen sides anyway lol. Even the video reviews above say that they wished it had better bleed/glow control at angles.

If I'm spending professional money, I will be wanting none of these traits. It needs to be *OLED to make the most sense.

Can we please give it a rest with the "OLED is better in every way" rhetoric.

Yes they have strengths in terms of dynamic range and colour reproduction but they also have weaknesses in terms of image retention and sub-pixel rendering. For general productivity work which isn't dependent on high colour accuracy or dynamic range, high-end LCDs can often be a better choice.

It's not rhetoric when it's objectively and demonstrably true. Just read or watch any review comparing both technologies.

What is, that OLED has superior dynamic range and colour reproduction?
It's also objectively and demonstrably true that it has disadvantages compared to LCD but you're conveniently ignoring that.

I'm objective enough to realise it has both strengths and weaknesses and isn't necessarily suitable for everyone's use-case.
I spend 10+ hours each day at the desktop and most of that is in the same two or three apps, thus text clarity and image retention are major factors for me. For my use-case, the disadvantages of OLED outweigh the advantages.

Mine arrived a day early :D

Copy/Paste from my post on reddit:
Initial reactions are all positive, loving the step up in resolution and the amount of desktop it gives me and of course the image quality and colours are excellent.

Had quick check in POE and BG3 just to see what refresh rates were like, was pleasantly surprised to see my 3080 push them both at around 80-90FPS without any obvious issues - so no immediate need to upgrade the graphics card.

How are you finding it for gaming compared to the AW3418DW?

I'm actually going off this now. Much as the size, aspect and resolution look great, I'm seeing some conflicting reports about the gaming performance and the lack of any "proper" reviews is putting me off.

Now wondering whether to grab an LG 38GL950 and be done with it or wait to see if any other manufacturers release screens based around this panel or an equivalent.

Do you mean the GN? I've had that and found it to be excellent for gaming considering it's an IPS :)

Sorry yes the GN.

The GL native G-Sync one came first, then the GN Freesync one but both were well into 4 figures.

The updated 38GN950P looks pretty much identical to the original but is now available for around £800 which looks like a bargain for a 160Hz 3840x1600 IPS screen.

Back
Top Bottom