Dell XPS M1330

Soldato
Never ever buy a dell. I made that mistake buying a m1530. Overheated like crazy, turned out there was so much (completley stupid amount) thermal paste applied to gpu and cpu. It was like rubber pads over my cpu it was completley covered. MX-3 lowered temps by 40+oC. I will never buy a dell again. Also they are a complete rip off

I've had two Dell notebooks myself and would happily own another. Didn't have any real problems with either of mine (Inspiron 630m and an M1330).

Not sure how you can consider them a rip off either, you can regularly get a far better spec from them than for the same money elsewhere.

Basically he's had a bad experience with the 1 laptop he's had from Dell, and is tarring the entire brand based on that experience. What he doesn't realise is that 90% of performance orientated laptops suffer from most of the same issues.

Associate
Well that's a flat out lie.

Yes, the 8x00 GPUs used in the XPS line had a higher failure rate than anyone would like, but to say they all fail is just plain lies. I've had mine for just over 2 years now and it's not failed, as have a few friends I know.

Flat out lie? I fix dozens of these every week, they all fail at some point, it all depends on how they are used and treated.

As someone else stated above its down to the solder. Since the change to rohs with lead free solder all electronic devices have a higher failure rate but it seems that nvidia chips have a higher fail rate compared to other chips like intel and ati although they still fail.

Just my opinion that I wouldn't recommend buying that particular laptop.

Yes all things will fail eventually, but there is a difference between failing from long term use and failing because of an underlying problem.

Dont let this put you off dell though as it really isn't their fault and I find Dell laptops to be very reliable.

Oh and by the way, I replaced a lot of these motherboards when I worked for Dell, I was told by one of the guys in the repair centre that they will all fail eventually and in my experience this is true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom