Dell XPS vs Macbook Pro

Soldato
Evening, I need a new laptop and I'd like one that's pretty capable spec wise. Reading reviews and top 10 lists the 2 that seem to come out on top almost everywhere are the Dell and the Macbook Pro.

Now I am no devotee to either particularly, for the past 4 or 5 years I've always had a Macbook at work and a laptop at home and even though I probably prefer the mac, I reckon it's important to be comfortable on both operations systems.

Given I'll probably continue to have a Macbook at work, that would suggest I should stick with something windows based but what I always hate about with reading reviews is the fact they rarely if ever are based on anything more than a couple weeks speed trial, which is understandable but that doesn't help me.

If I'm gonna spend 1500 quid on a laptop, I want to know that it's gonna last for 4 to 5 years of pretty regularly intense use, something I'm pretty confident a Macbook would.

What do you guys think? Stick with the diversity but risk having a proper laggy laptop in 2 years or fall out of practice with Windows?

I quite like the idea of the 2 in 1 of the Dell but I'm just cynical that in 6-12 months me even trying to switch modes is gonna result in 10 minutes of hang (no matter how snappy it is on day 1). Say what you want about the macs but they are reliable.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks

Soldato
The Dell XPS is good on paper but has a lot of bugs and glitches around it. Often freezes/hangs and blue screens. Take a google on them.

I personally have a MacBook but take a look at the Asus Zenbook 3 Deluxe, just bought my colleague one for work and it's a good piece of kit.

Soldato
OP
Thanks mate, I've had a look and there does seem to be some reports of bugs around battery life etc. but I would contend that with just replacing the search query with macbook reveals just as many.

Having the new Pro for work, I haven't had a single issue in some pretty heavy use (photoshop etc.) over the past 4 months or so so I take those with a pinch of salt.

The Asus you mentioned, you said you have just bought it but I have yet to see many laptops that aren't pretty swish when they're new.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Dell but I can't help but second guess myself.

The other thing in Apple's favour is the customer service, I'm reasonably confident that should something happen in a year or so I'll be able to get a new one or get it repaired, what is Dell's customer service like? Anyone had a problem with them?

Thanks

Soldato
What size?

I have the 15inch xps and its a brilliant machine when it wants to be. If you get it set up right you wont go far wrong.

I am having some issues with the cpu/gpu but I am starting to think I may have a borked unit (dell are in touch)

Speaking of Dell, I went for the 3 year premium warranty and their service is on the same level of Apple's!

Back
Top Bottom