Depressed about car insurance! Whats your minimum claim limit?

Associate
well a bit of an over exaggeration but frustrated to say the least!

now if I make an insurance claim....
excess - £500
premium rise in the next 5 years - £2000
drop in value of the car due to tarnished HPI (if stolen/recovered for example) - ?£2000

as far as I see it lose, lose situation. My minimum claim would have to be for ~£4500!

basically I only pay insurance for complete write off, stolen not recovered or if I cause personal injury.

rant off

Soldato
How old are you? Also, has this scenario actually occured, or is it hypothetical?

Your excess is high, also I doubt one claim would make your insurance rise by £400 per annum if you're older than 21.

And why does it need to have a tarnished HPI? I imagine most claims wouldn't leave a CAT marker.

Weird post.

Associate
OP
I'm 30+, 9yrs no claims, live inner city, drive a fast car

£400 is what a comparison site says my insurance goes up by

background is my car was stolen and recovered (cat D)

Associate
The car will only be registered as cat d on hpi if it is a total loss (ie. the insurance company paid you for it). So unless you buy the car back from them, the drop in value should not concern you.

Associate
OP
ok it might not come as Cat D (that seems insurer dependent) but would come as stolen recovered either way, that does show on the HPI check and would devalue the car

Soldato
I've claimed 2 times for non-fault accidents, one was a write off the other was rear bumper damage.

Write off was a £450 rover 220SDi but got about £900 for it after I argued I couldn't get one with a sunroof for less, bought it back for £25 and then sold it for £300.

Also claimed on a 260k mile Mondeo MK3 TDCi, got rear ended & sorted out a cash in lieu settlement direct with their insurer for a figure i'm pretty sure was around £800 as it needed a rear bumper so i got them to pay for genuine Ford parts, fixed it and ran it for 2 more years.

Had no premium increases as a result of the above, still only paying about £450 a year on a Mondeo ST220 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee combined, so for me if it's non-fault i'll claim for anything over about £200, anything less isn't worth the hassle.

Caporegime
I've claimed 2 times for non-fault accidents, one was a write off the other was rear bumper damage.

Write off was a £450 rover 220SDi but got about £900 for it after I argued I couldn't get one with a sunroof for less, bought it back for £25 and then sold it for £300.

Also claimed on a 260k mile Mondeo MK3 TDCi, got rear ended & sorted out a cash in lieu settlement direct with their insurer for a figure i'm pretty sure was around £800 as it needed a rear bumper so i got them to pay for genuine Ford parts, fixed it and ran it for 2 more years.

Had no premium increases as a result of the above, still only paying about £450 a year on a Mondeo ST220 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee combined, so for me if it's non-fault i'll claim for anything over about £200, anything less isn't worth the hassle.

no premium increase because the cars you are driving are worth nothing

Soldato
no premium increase because the cars you are driving are worth nothing

What's that got to do with it? you can run over a bus queue full of children and generate a multi million pound claim in a £100 Corsa. If I was driving a £50k Mercedes there still wouldn't have been a price increase due to the company i'm with.

In fact unless their underwriting criteria has changed in the last couple of years car value isn't even a rating factor under £35k so becomes irrelevant.

Associate
ok it might not come as Cat D (that seems insurer dependent) but would come as stolen recovered either way, that does show on the HPI check and would devalue the car

If it’s stolen and recovered, and returned to you then it shouldn’t show up on a HPI check. My car was stolen and recovered last year and once I had it back the HPI didn’t show anything.

Soldato
Stolen and recovered shouldn't add anything.

If you changed insurer they wouldn't even know if it isn't on the HPI check etc (and I don't think they even ask that question).

The car's value has little do with the premium.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’m surprised the consensus it it won’t show on HPI, last report I got on a car showed up a very small insurance claim.

Maybe I don’t miss-using the term HPI

Back
Top Bottom