descent 1155 itx board?

Associate
lads I was about to get the asrock z77e-itx but I thought I'd throw it up first.

other options look to be an MSI Z77IA-E53, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-Wifi and at the top end of the budget is a ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe.

it'll be used with a 3570K and a gtx690 so high OC is necessary.

Caporegime
I honestly don't know as back plates differ between coolers, I just know its there and people on this forum have mentioned it before, one I seem to remember even dremel'ed the thing to make the cooler fit.

Associate
OP
on the 3570k I'd be hoping for 4.6. the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe doesn't seem to OC as well as the sister board attached to it let's on. still 'only' gets 4.6 in reviews. I don't get what the huge premium is for then.

Associate
OP
I've found an unofficial, and short, list of compatible coolers for the asrock z77e-itx for anyone who's interested here:

dl.dropbox.com/u/3897098/Z77E-ITX%20Heatsink%20Compatability%20List.pdf

Don
I have a gigabyte one, they are fantastic, I also tried the Asus one, but there is nothing better over the gigabyte one so I wouldnt pay the extra.

Stelly

Associate
I've used both the Asrock and the Asus board, both solid boards that overclock within MHz of each other.
The Asus is absolutely not worth the premium over the Asrock.
The Asrock is one of the fastest booting boards I've ever used when paired with a fast ssd.
It's only negative is the socket placement for the Larger air coolers, going custom water or closed loop such as H60 etc makes this a non-issue.
The M-sata connector on the back of the board 'may' require you to trim certain backplates.

Your current A70 will block the pci-e slot, rendering it unusable on the Asrock board.

If you do go custom water, go EK Supremacy, get the EK TRUE 1155 backplate and the Easy mount kit.

Custom water is a pile to spend on an M-itx build, a relatively cheap (by comparison) H60 will keep that 3570k quite happily at 4.6GHZ with 1 almost silent fan.
The Corsair backplate just misses the m-sata connector and does not require trimming.

The Gigabyte has no vcore adjustment, no good for what you want it for.

Last edited:

Qel

Qel

Associate
Looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI and the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe to go in a potential prodigy build.

Both have the features I'd want, the Gigabyte is cheaper but I'm noticing the Cpu socket is very close to the pci-e slot, would there be issues there with fitting an i5 3570k with stock cooler and say the gigabyte 7950? or would I be better just paying the extra for the asus where the cpu is more central and further away from it?

Associate
Looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI and the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe to go in a potential prodigy build.

Both have the features I'd want, the Gigabyte is cheaper but I'm noticing the Cpu socket is very close to the pci-e slot, would there be issues there with fitting an i5 3570k with stock cooler and say the gigabyte 7950? or would I be better just paying the extra for the asus where the cpu is more central and further away from it?

You won't have any issues with the Gigabyte using the stock Intel cooler.
It has no vcore adjustment though, like I keep saying.
So you will be limited to how far the default voltage will take your 3570k.

If you want a proper overclocking ITX board, look at either the Asrock or the Asus.

If you have no plans at all to overclock you can save a few quid and buy a H77 board.

Back
Top Bottom