Designing a C.V in Word

Associate
Don't use tables on your CV I had tables on mine then my agency friend told me tables aren't very compatible with a lot of agency's databases etc and causes a lot of issues!

In my experience agencies don't like tables because it's makes it more difficult for them to copy & paste your details into their database. They don't like PDFs for the same reason.

Soldato
I like a minimalist layout.

cvlayout.jpg

I always keep it to 2 pages so I minimize on useless fluff like a "Curriculum Vitae" title and whether or not I have a full driving license (who cares unless you're applying for driving jobs!). Just my name, phone number and email address.

I don't expand on irrelevant work experience from 8 years ago, I just put "2002-2003 Desktop support at XYZ Ltd" and nothing else. I don't mention my supermarket job from 12 years ago - a waste of valuable space.

I dislike massive margins or indents because the way I see it you have 2 pages to sell yourself to the client/agency so I pack it with as much relevant information as I can. But I use 1.5 line spacing so it doesn't look cluttered :D

Soldato
But don't ever write "curriculum vitae" at the top, huge waste of space and very unnecessary.

Not really as I have multiple supporting documents. Depends what you're sending your CV for. If you require many different forms of various bits and pieces then I prefer to title my documents.

Soldato
Out of interest, what are these multiple supporting documents and does anyone actually read them? In my experience most recruiters barely have time to scan read the first page of any given CV.

Back
Top Bottom