Desk and 8086k

Associate
558B36C5-A693-493B-A101-020F6121A80D_zpsztydngsw.jpg

Hi all,​

This is the start of a long term project which will involve a full specification upgrade and I am aiming to build this new pc within a desk. The pc will be water cooled.

I took inspiration from Linus' design and @tankian ’s build log but I am still unsure if this design is the best way forward at the moment. I am at the initial planning stage at this moment and would like to garner any feedback you may have. Forgive my design skills, I am fairly new to Sketch up.

Ideally, I would add a subwoofer stand to the underneath the main body of the desk.

Initially I am looking at 1.3m length x 0.75m depth. I am unsure of height at this moment and am trying to find the perfect 'fit' for me.

I am still undecided on the lower glass panel.

I will be asking a carpenter to build the bulk of the desk for me as I am not the most handy.

Anyway, that's about it for now. All feedback will be considered very useful at this stage.

Thanks,
Skyline

Something like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Obviously following this, I love me a desk build :)

You're right to consider the height. This is maybe the single most crucial variable as every body is different and you can't know until you try. My advice is to get the chair you plan on using because that's one part of the equation. Then try stacking a board onto boxes or similar and playing with a mouse/keyboard.

When I build workbenches for myself I set the height up for what's comfortable, I tend to work standing up or use a tall bar stool for soldering work. I'm just under 6' and I've found my benches are maybe 10cm taller than the average.

Good luck, I'm a carpenter and electronic engineer and there's plenty of talented folks on these forums, so definitely come here if you have wonderings about your design!

Associate
OP
Obviously following this, I love me a desk build :)

You're right to consider the height. This is maybe the single most crucial variable as every body is different and you can't know until you try. My advice is to get the chair you plan on using because that's one part of the equation. Then try stacking a board onto boxes or similar and playing with a mouse/keyboard.

When I build workbenches for myself I set the height up for what's comfortable, I tend to work standing up or use a tall bar stool for soldering work. I'm just under 6' and I've found my benches are maybe 10cm taller than the average.

Good luck, I'm a carpenter and electronic engineer and there's plenty of talented folks on these forums, so definitely come here if you have wonderings about your design!

Thanks for the advice, I am not much of a mouse and keyboard gamer and much more of a lounge in the LazyBoy and use a Xbox/ Ps4 Controller, so I'll bear that in mind.

Update 1:
I've recently been thinking about storage and with the amount of space I'll have inside the desk, I would like to include a NAS set up within the desk. I think that providing it with it's own efficient power supply would be my best bet.

As things stand, I will temporarily use my 4790K and ROG Hero VII. I will of course be under clocking this before I downgrade the specs and use the 4790K more efficiently/ donate it to a friend in Cairo. I am intending to find a mini ITX NAS to save some of the space inside the desk but I will save that for a later stage.

Purchased list;
i7 8086k Speed Binned and Delidded @ 5.1 (1.36 vcore)
ROG Hero X
Team Group Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHZ
ROG MH9 monoblock (Compatible with MHX)
Aqua computer (Splitty 9) Fan splitters x 2
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g
7 port USB Hub
USB Bluetooth Adapter (possibly now redundant)

So far I've only ordered the above components. I am only temporarily based in the UK, before I go to Greece and then, finally back to Cairo for work in August. This means baggage is tight and I cannot fit a motherboard inside my luggage, without sacrificing clothing or another essential so therefore I will be ordering the motherboard whilst I am back home in Cairo. (I found a way!!!)

As I am about to begin the process of buying an apartment, this build is my last big splurge (unless I can sneak another 1080ti into the desk without someone noticing after xmas), therefore I wanted a new chipset to last me a few years. My next upgrade will likely be two-three years and I do not mind doing a grand refresh if required at the time. My 4790k has been awesome up until now and I am hoping my 8086k processor will allow me to survive for a long, long while.

I chose the 8086k because I needed a delidded processor and I want an overclocked monster. Whilst we have air conditioning as standard in Egypt, the room temperatures in the daytime can be rather warm and whilst I would attempt the delidding myself, I am a long, long way away from spare cpu/motherboards should any issues occur. Whilst to some, this may seem a bit unnecessary, I can afford to do so at this stage of my career. So I went for a 8700k speed binned chip but was asked by OcUk to swap due to availability.

I've also purchased a USB Hub which was mentioned in the design and I am looking forward to trying out RGB lighting through the AURA suite for the first time.

Hopefully by the end of August, I will have completed the purchasing stage and I will be able to draw up a scaled map of the inside of the desk to allow the carpenter to see what we actually have to work with. This will give me a better idea of layout and whether or not I will be able to hardline the watercooling loop.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update 2:
The 8086k, ram and monoblock have all arrived. Monoblock took two days direct from EK (in Slovenia!) OcUk were out of stock when I made my order.

I was very impressed with the little package of the CPU. It came with the original box. The IHS was replaced with the 8Pack Silver edition. The original IHS has been included in its own box and will eventually return to its original home.

Tomorrow I am expecting the ROG Maximus Hero X motherboard and I will be putting together the barebones of the build here in the UK. This was not the original plan but having shifted some of my things around, I reckon I can squeeze it into my bag / leave something in the UK until Xmas time..

Next update will be tomorrow with the core of the system built in the motherboard box. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update 3:

Today the motherboard arrived! I have put some of the pictures into spoilers because I am having a mare with the resizing. Apparently my iphone camera is poop... Anyways. Here is some picture love...

558B36C5-A693-493B-A101-020F6121A80D_zpsztydngsw.jpg

The next stage is obviously to take apart the current rig and and test everything before I contact the carpenter. I am hoping to grab a few large bits of paper and draw out a blueprint of the internal layout, this will allow me to map out the holes for drilling once I am settled on the rest. This will also give me an idea if the depth and widths will be correct.

B8877F71-E346-47A9-9821-182EF67BDC2E_zpsromc2lee.jpg

69CD73D9-3A03-4225-96FA-F5E32FA440CD_zpsp7la4pb6.jpg

D49929C2-5B25-4F71-B728-7E08138E1F8E_zpsge3ruhul.jpg

4C645C06-E82F-4280-8B7C-5A80D3411F7E_zpszosln0p6.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
I look forward to seeing where this goes. I plan to delid my 8086K eventually, and see if it can hit 5.3GHz. A limited edition, special processor like that is exactly what you want in a desk build like this. Even once it's old you won't want to swap it out ;)

Associate
OP
RGBTastic!

That’s the plan! :D

I look forward to seeing where this goes. I plan to delid my 8086K eventually, and see if it can hit 5.3GHz. A limited edition, special processor like that is exactly what you want in a desk build like this. Even once it's old you won't want to swap it out ;)

Yeah this is going to be a special build for me. My better half is on board with it as well... :D

..so she’ll probably make me keep this one a long, long while. I’ve kept the boxes for processor too. Still a while until I can actually get a proper move on with the project though.

I’ve also realised that I can now unleash the full potential of my Samsung 1tb m.2 NVMe which isn’t fully realised in my current build. So I am excited about the possibilities already.

Back
Top Bottom