desk speaker stands

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Those ones do look better actually. Bah, no stock for some time tho. I am not fully against free standing ones but a lot of the ones I've seen look like dust collectors and I like to be able to very easily wipe my desk without lots of intricate dusting.

Soldato
Has anyone got any recommendations? These ones look ok to me but there are no reviews Gear4Music desk mounted stands

Those will require the desk being away from the wall. However putting the speakers as far back is the better option. Disadvantage of those desk stands is they might transfer more vibration into the desk. Isolating vibration is also very important.

I'm using the following, but with Neewer isolation foam. These stands are solid and functional. My speakers are set on the level (flat), but raised to the correct height.
https://www.gear4music.com/Recordin...us-AcouFoam-Isolation-Pads-by-Gear4music/2M92

Whatever stands you go with, getting stands + isolation foam + spending time setting up will make a big improvement to your existing audio.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @JasonM. Always appreciate your advice. Maybe I will go with those desk stands instead. They look easy to clean too. My desk is currently about 90mm from the wall, not sure how much the desk mounts would need for clearance but appreciate what your saying about vibration.

I assume you put the foam between the stand and the speaker? Did you got for neewer ones because they are level instead of angled? Are the stands easy to adjust in height and feel firm/stable?

Soldato
Thanks @JasonM. Always appreciate your advice.

Thank you. Yes the foam goes between where the speaker normally sits, and top of the stand.

The only reason I went with Neewer ones is they were on offer and I picked them up cheap, however I expect any of the isolation pads will perform the same or very similar.

If your unsure how much isolation makes, you can even cut some foam packaging and use this. Foam packaging won't perform as well as proper isolation foam, however gives you a quick way to understand the benefit of speaker isolation.

Back to my stands. There pritty functional and no frills, the base locks with a large allen bolt, and there is a large thumb screw that locks the position once set - these stands will not move or float around your desk! Once the foam and speaker goes on they look good and professional.

Soldato
OP
I was not a fan of those stands from the pictures on the website, but after seeing a youtube video of them they look a lot nicer and seem very sturdy from the way the guy picks them up.

What are your thoughts on the below? They are double the price but I do prefer the style of them. I doubt I would use the tilt adjustment. Another bonus is they come with feet which would sit over my desk's cable routing holes (which I don't use). I've tried removing them and one is stuck in place and I fear of damaging the melamine surface by forcing it out.

Deluxe Tilting Desktop Monitor Stands by Gear4music, Pair

I think regardless of which ones I get, I will try them without any foam, and then do as you suggest with some packaging foam first before buying some proper isolating pads.

Soldato
I looked at those stands also. I agree they look nicer then the cheaper ones, and even considered these more expensive ones myself

Thoughts however, I don't think I would use the tilt function. Also those stands don't turn, obviously you can turn the base, however on the basic stands they turn without moving the base.

When setting up one of the things that's key is turning the speakers inwards , just a few degrees difference can make quite a difference. On the cheaper stands you can partly slacken the thumb screw, and you can manually adjust them.

I have my speaker stands full height, then with the isolation foam it adds another 2" inches to the speaker height. So the speakers are flat but at the height at my ears.

Soldato
OP
Hmm. I have just double checked my speakers measurements (Dali Spektor 2) and the cheaper ones look like they will be really big (230x230mm top plate). My speakers are 220(D)x 170 (W). Maybe the more expensive ones would suit better. Still a bit wider than my speakers though but probably not so noticeable. I couldn't see any other stands that were below 180mm wide.

I am happy to toe in the stands if they need it. Don't think it would matter too much as the base has a bit of curvy design so wouldn't look out of place toe'd in.

Soldato
I'm running some Yamaha speakers that are 165 mm (W): 183 mm (D) that are smaller then your Dali Spektor's, they don't look out of place, however I can see where your coming from.

End of the day it won't make much difference, however in terms of sound, the cheaper stands + isolation foam will perform better than expensive stands alone.

Soldato
OP
Could you post a picture of one of your speakers on the stand? Interesting to see what it looks like with the stand poking out further than the speakers. I am torn between the cheaper one and the one that's double the price.

Soldato
Hi, I have just taken this picture now. There is a little dust on the isolation foam, but that's because I not cleaned the foam for over 3 months!

yamaha.jpg

Soldato
OP
It looks better than I imagined, maybe as your speakers have a good contrast with the foam and stand (lovely looking speaker btw). Thanks for taking the time to post the pic!

I am going to think about it over night.

Soldato
Yes thank you. The Yamaha speakers were not expensive btw, I do also have a sub providing gentle fill in, basically my sub is 'invisible' and all sound appears to be from left/right speakers only, however if the sub is disabled there is a loss of quality.

Also the speakers are upside down, as they were to 'bright' so I turned them upside down putting the tweeter in better location, but still keeping speaker higher. Keeping the speaker higher from desk allowed the speaker to breath more and gave a better sound, then turning the speaker 180 degrees solved the problem of tweeter then being to high.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Also the speakers are upside down, as they were to 'bright' so I turned them upside down putting the tweeter in better location, but still keeping speaker higher. Keeping the speaker higher from desk allowed the speaker to breath more and gave a better sound, then turning the speaker 180 degrees solved the problem of tweeter then being to high.

I thought they looked different. Reminded me of the Mission LX2 speakers. It sounds like you have taken a lot of time to get the perfect sound for your setup!

I wish someone this side of the Atlantic would make stands like Soundrise, but without the high pricing. Closest I've found are these ones from K&M. I may go for them, with some extra dampening.

I saw those sound rise ones on a google search but could not find a seller anywhere. They would fit my speakers perfectly too. I think I've convinced myself to get the 'Deluxe Tilting Desktop Monitor Stands by Gear4music'. Currently looking at accoustic foam pads to see if I can find ones which are not so big. I could cut them down to length myself but no doubt look like a bears arse.

Soldato
OP
Actually I've decided to try those K&M ones you mention @Random Guy Esq. The top plate is smaller than my speakers which I think I would prefer, and the space saving design might be handy for my amp to sit over the base plate of my left speaker. I'll test how they are before ordering any accoustic foam to go over the speakers. Thanks for all those that commented. Been struggling to make a decision for many months!

Soldato
Actually I've decided to try those K&M ones you mention @Random Guy Esq. The top plate is smaller than my speakers which I think I would prefer, and the space saving design might be handy for my amp to sit over the base plate of my left speaker. I'll test how they are before ordering any accoustic foam to go over the speakers. Thanks for all those that commented. Been struggling to make a decision for many months!
Cool - it was the fact you weren't losing the space under the stand that drew me to them initially. Let us know how you find them!

Back
Top Bottom