Deskercise

Soldato
OP
We can't help you. If you're not willing to put money aside for gym membership, and if your not willing to do any actual exercise, there is no advice we can give you. Bye.

I can't afford a gym membership, I didn't say I wasn't willing.
And I am willing to exercise, but I would prefer that exercise to be something I can do at my desk.

If there is no such possibility, then fair enough. I'll have to work on the willpower aspect and find something I can enjoy - I've often considered an exercise bike...

So, is that what you're saying? There is nothing I can do while at my desk?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Firstly, I'm pretty sure you can afford a gym membership, but you're unwilling to give up other things in your life that cost money in order to improve your own health.

No, I can't. I'm curious how you are aware of my finiancial state!

Well, thank you for your harsh words, I'll drop the idea of deskercise (sadly). It was just an idea. I'll look at other options and try to find something I could enjoy.

Thanks anyway :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
chances are you spend money on going to the pub, buying beer and snack food etc at the supermarket, maybe a few subscriptions etc

That'd be nice. I started renting something we could afford just before the recession smacked us all in the face by cancelling 2 years of payrises while increasing living costs and making it ridiculously hard to find another job :/ I don't exactly live frivolously.

Short of cancelling my £50 subscription to "Gold plated disney characters weekly" there's nothing I can give up that would allow a gym membership.

But I can probably borrow enough for a small one off, as I mentioned. I've always been a little curious about exercise bikes. I used to love cycling but there's nowhere local I could without being bottled by chavs ;(

They any good?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I guess running outdoors is out of the question if you're afraid of getting 'bottled by chavs'?

We don't live in a nice area and I'm a total coward :) They're simply everywhere!

we are edging into territory that would require you to do some exercise after work, which you said you didn't want to do :p

I would prefer deskercise, true. But I think I could do non deskercise if it was something enjoyable! I would prefer indoors, in my own home though.

Whilst i'm merrilly lol'ing at this thread(rubber bands etc)

1) glad I amuse you :p
2) rubber bands?

Cycle to and from work?

I really REALLY would love this option, but I live a 40minute drive from work, over several steep hills. I don't think I could cycle it, even if it was close enough :( I have dreams of living in cycling distance, but alas...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd love to cycle, but it I doubt I could afford a bike that could support my weight. ><

I've said a couple of times I'd be willing to look at non-desk related stuff, as it's already been explained that it's not possible.

Anyway this thread's only descending into "lol you're fat you suck" :p so thanks for the advice and all :) I'll do some research into other things and ask other questions at a later time on a better subject.

cheers. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
however, the OP did all but state his unwillingness to compromise.

No, I said I lack willpower and cant afford a gym. That's hardly a complete lack of willing! I'm here aren't I? :)
People just decided to vent their anger on me because, you know, I'm not a real person with real feelings - I'm a few pixels on a computer screen and you can say what you like to that :p

RimBlock, that's really useful, thank you for that :) And for those who've actually suggested things.

I did a lot of reading through this forum last night about dietary things, and have made a couple of immediate changes.

1) No more coke.
I regularly drink a litre of this :/ Not every day but a couple of times per week. I know it's not good but it tastes so great. I have bought in a 1.5litre bottle and filled it with water, will try and drink this over the course of the working day, then only drink water at home.

Question: I have some low sugar lemon/lime squash, the RDA on it is all very low - is it reasonable to mix some in or would that be very counterproductive? How about fruit juices, like copella and tropicana?

2) No crisps.
Kinda speaks for itself. But I'm looking for a replacement mid-meal snack. I've been brought up by a mum who loved to feed me lots, and well, I eat a lot. I am trying to reduce this but I think I need to attack from both angles. Cut down how much, but also change the food to something that it doesn't matter quite so much if I eat a lot of it.

I read that rice cakes were a reasonable idea?

3) No sarnies.
This could kill me, but I read that bread is bad. I normaly take a sarnie or two to work for lunch, but plan to replace this entirely with salad (which I enjoy).

Salady goodness (please point out any bads): Yellow pepper, cucumber, spring onion, carrot, lettuce.
I already eat a fair amount of fruit: pears apples satsumas melon and grapes.

Just need to find a healthy dip or dressing for when the salad gets a bit dull. I hear oil+vinegar dressings are good for you in terms of heart health, but not for the weight?

Do any of these changes make no sense?

Regarding exercise: I have some weights that I pilfered some time ago, but I guess that is just building the muscles in my arms? Keeping the exercise indoors for the moment - is there any cheap equipment I could get that would help with the "Weights / resistance exercises" you suggest for the whole body? Or what else could I do inside the home?
The swiss ball idea sounds fun for sitting at my desk, will look into that.

I guess I should buy a heart rate monitor too :)

I appreciate any further help and advice.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The OP came in fully announcing he was willing to make absolutely no effort at all.

I said I had a willpower problem and I don't believe that I'm the only person in that boat... I think half the country suffers that. The fact that I'm asking for help should show that I want to change, that I'm WILLING to change. All I asked for was help finding a method I could use while at work, which some people have provided.

Clearly what I wrote came across not how I meant it to and opened the door to people who only wanted to make me feel worse about my physical state.

That doesn't make it right to do so.

So lets stop the "bash the fatty!" routine by not posting if you're only going to post about how much I suck :D

Thanks,

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There's a reason for that :)

Only that you'll need to put more effort in if you really want to see results :)

I'd love to help you with nutritional tips, exercises ideas and cheap/free ways to lose weight, feel great and be healthier. But at the risk of sounder uber-cheese; "you gotta want it"

Ant :cool:

Thanks for reading anything past the op :)
I'm going to delete the op, it's just making me feel like crap now and I've had enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Now lets not overdo it :D. Seriously stay away from any bread that is not wholemeal and even then take sparingly. Same for pasta and rice. Wholemeal (brown for rice) now and then is fine.

I think the real sandwich problem is that since I became lactose intolerant I replaced butter for mayo. I can't imagine mayo is good for me! But no butter and no mayo = dry sandwich and I'm not good with dry foods.

But regarding rice and pasta, these pretty much make up my staple evening diet. What can these be replaced with?

Vinegar or olive oil based dressings are good. Olive oil is great for a healthy fat. Fish, especially oily fish like smoked salmon is also great for oils. You could add some lean meat to the salad like chicken / fish or turkey.

So a virgin olive oil + vinegar dressing is ok? Even regularly?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I havent taken the photo yet, but I'll try and get around to it. It's just... odd :p

Still on water alone, finding that one easy enough, but have to buy bottled water for work as the tap water there is just blergh.

Have done two days of salad and veg for lunch at work, with some rice cakes thrown in. Today I feel like something different so have a wholemeal sandwich (ham and pickle... dunno how healthy that is but surely can't be that bad?).

I normally have some kelloggs fruit cake bar things for brekkie, 130 calories, cereal is a tough one because too much dairy makes me quite ill (I generally use my daily quota on other things), and due to my love of sleep I don't really have time in the mrning, but can eat these on the road. Do these sound problematic or is this ok?

I looked for some oatcakes, couldn't find nairns but there were some jordans ones, 140 cals, they as good?

In the meantime I've gone for some wholegrain yoghurt. This could be interesting :D

Edit: by gawd that's some tasty yoghurt.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm famously crap with hot foods :p but thanks for the suggestions.
I was looking at nuts in the shop and I'm not sure. I like salted/roasted nuts fine, but not so sure about plain ones.
Seeds is a good plan though. And quite intrigued by making my own flapjacks :)

So diet is under way, and advice is really helping.

Regarding exercise. I have some weights (dumbells?), but that's about it. Outdoor exercise in my area is ill advised so I'm looking for indoor pursuits.

I am 26, 5'10", and I don't actually know my weight at the moment, but when I was last weighed (a long time ago) I was 17.5 stone. My parents have some scales so will pop round and use em some time soon.
Is it worth doing anything with the dumbells?

I don't know about buying a bench, without other equipment is that a bit redundant?

I've located a gym pretty close to home. If I can work up some nerve I will check it out, see if it is even close to affordable.

Soldato
OP
Womens yoga class? Suddenly this gym thing looks more interesting... :p

I am still trying to work up the courage >< Might see if I can rope the gf in for moral support while I'm there... strength in numbers!

A strange thing happened yesterday, I've only drunk water for about a week now, yesterday I had a glass and thought "that squash is going to waste, one glass can't kill me..." so poured in some orange squash.

Didn't like it :confused:

Poured it away and went back to water :p Seems to be growing on me!

Thanks RimBlock, Morba and everyone for your advice, I'll try and get that picture sorted... ;)

Soldato
OP
Yeah have phone a couple of others and seems thats actuallly a pretty decent rate :p
Ho well. I have some savings that I'm going to plunder to get this ball rolling.
The gym near my work is cheapest of those I can get to, and I think going after work is better than going home, and then to the gym...
Once I get home I highly doubt I'll want to go back out! :p

One question: end of the working day I'm getting hungry for dinner. So a quick snack (fruit/oatcakes etc) then to the gym, then home for dinner... is that healthy?

Back
Top Bottom