Desktop Buildup 4 Music Production

Associate
Hi Overclockers users.

I want to build a desktop 4 VST music productions and this is a list of things I was basically adviced to go 4

Intel Pentium Duo Core i5, 3GHz
32 Bit
4GB RAM
1 TB HD
HD Technology
Basic Soundcard Onboard
Basic Graphics Card
Blue Ray Drive

What is the best and possibly cheepest way to get this together?
Regards Darkskin

Soldato
Please stop using the number 4 instead of writing for.

Theres no such thing as an i5 dual core though, and i5's are 64 bit.

I would suggest building yourself, but if you don't have a modest clue on how to do it I would highly recommend the excellent pre-made machines that Overclockers UK provide.

Soldato
looking at your advice, the person didnt really know much about computers who was 'advising' you.

before i get to recommending you a computer ive got a few questions:
- what is your budget for the entire system
- what parts do you need? is it just the case and the components in it, or do you need other stuff like good speakers, monitor, operating system, mouse, keyboard, etc
- will you be doing anything other than audio production and general usage (internet browsing, email, etc), such as gaming, photoshop work, video production, CAD/CAM work, etc
- is there any particular reason you want the blu ray drive?

Associate
OP
My budget is £600 highest £800. I do need the case, the components in it, good speakers, a monitor or screen, mouse and keyboard. I've got a midi controlling device to create beats and stuff. So I'll do audio recordings. I do want to use the system to access the internet as well. The blue ray is because of the capacity, so it would be nice, but not a must!

Associate
My budget is £600 highest £800. I do need the case, the components in it, good speakers, a monitor or screen, mouse and keyboard. I've got a midi controlling device to create beats and stuff. So I'll do audio recordings. I do want to use the system to access the internet as well. The blue ray is because of the capacity, so it would be nice, but not a must!

Again, what DAW are you using? In my opinion the only two really worth the bother are either Pro Tools or Logic, and if you want to use the latter you're going to need a Mac/Hackintosh. There are plenty of other DAWs out there, and there are some really decent programming suites, but if it's recording you're doing then there's a very good reason why professional studios ONLY use Pro Tools and Logic.

Anyway, to make my point, if you're intent on the PC route and you want to run Pro Tools, you're going to need some digidesign or M-Audio hardware to go with that build.

Associate
OP
I've got an akai mpk49 so to get the foundation I need the essential heartbeating desktop and want to build it up myself. Just need to know which components exactly and the best sites/links to get them from. It doesn't have to be a Mac so Logic's out of reach for the beginning. I'll be cool with Pro Tools and Cubase.

Back
Top Bottom