Desktop --> Laptop? Your thoughts/experiances.

Associate
Thinking after summer about selling the desktop..

19"tft..
2ghz amd
2gig ram
200gig hdd
etc.

And switching to a laptop,

Will I miss my 5.1 surroud sound?
Will I miss the 19"tft?

I know its a personal choice but I think the added mobility/being able to take too and from University (who does?) and lower noise etc would be better in the long run, I barely play games anymore, just do the website/podcast/odd CS game thing.

I doubt the sound will be all that big an issue but you can always do what I did and run your hifi through your PC, goes as loud as you want :D

Laptop monitors aren't that far off in size terms and given that your 19" monitor probably has a maximum resolution of 1280x1024 anyway I don't see it as an issue.

I had a desktop so didn't take it backwards and forwards all that much, although that might be partly as I just got a second computer to leave at my parents :)

I would keep the desktop, and buy a laptop. I use a laptop and desktop, usually desktop does stuff which laptop cannot handle. The laptop is great for browsing, lighter windows etc.

Laptops are ok, but don't expect them to be blinding fast during HD access/transferring...also some quirkiness that cannot be fixed like a desktop. Yes you will miss the bigger screen, larger/cheaper HD storage capacity. I would rather have both than just picking one, as each one does things better/differently to the other.

squiffy said:
I would keep the desktop, and buy a laptop. I use a laptop and desktop, usually desktop does stuff which laptop cannot handle. The laptop is great for browsing, lighter windows etc.

Laptops are ok, but don't expect them to be blinding fast during HD access/transferring...also some quirkiness that cannot be fixed like a desktop. Yes you will miss the bigger screen, larger/cheaper HD storage capacity. I would rather have both than just picking one, as each one does things better/differently to the other.

Thats a good point, there is the option of both if I can push my money far enough - my current desktop is at the standstill that most peoples are at the moment, AGP--> PCI Express leap.

Make sure you try the keyboard though, they can be quite awful to use sometimes, especially one of my friend's one and also the ones at school. Really hard to type with.

Don't even bother with touch pads, get a mini mouse at least.

I'd never touch another laptop after my last Fujitsu. If I were after something to cart around to uni and weren't bothered about not using it on the bus etc I'd get a shuttle type rig. It'd be cheaper than a decent laptop, small, quiet and faster than a laptop could ever be.

I have a laptop - finished paying it off not long ago :D

It really is brilliant. First of all its nice and streamlined since I have no games at all on it and the only apps are stuff for programming. I use it for uni work and when at home I use it for general browsing.

My PC while good [and new one will be awesome] is definately not mobile lol. Gets boring sitting in my room for hours at a time sometimes. Its nice to be able to sit downstairs or in the garden and browse.

Laptop for work and general browsing

Desktop for games, music, pr0n, apps, folding etc etc etc

SiriusB

SiriusB said:
My PC while good [and new one will be awesome] is definately not mobile lol. Gets boring sitting in my room for hours at a time sometimes. Its nice to be able to sit downstairs or in the garden and browse.

SiriusB

Yes! My main reason for considering a laptop right there, thanks for the replies so far.

Mikharper said:
Yes! My main reason for considering a laptop right there, thanks for the replies so far.

Is there any real reason you need to get rid of the desktop? Other than as a source of funds for your lappy :D

If you get a laptop on finance you wouldnt have to worry about having lots of money saved in one go - just as long as you can afford the payments. Also, lots of places offer interest free for 12 months. I did this with my laptop. 1200 in total and I paid 100 quid a month. Yes it knackered half my meager monthly wage - but thats what parents/student loans are for :D

SiriusB

I stopped spending money every few months on my desktop when I moved to a lappy for uni, which can only be good. No hardware changes also mean hardly any problems with hardware/software/windows. So, generally, some more peace of mind.

The only drawback is not being able to play the latest games and run the latest CAD applications properly.

Remember you can insure your laptop for about £50 for a year - aciidental damage, stolen etc...

Sameer said:
I stopped spending money every few months on my desktop when I moved to a lappy for uni, which can only be good. No hardware changes also mean hardly any problems with hardware/software/windows. So, generally, some more peace of mind

But it also means while we're all lovingly stroking our quad core 4gb ram rigs hel be sat there waiting for Windows -Bill Gates Memorial edition- to load.

Unless he can afford to get a new one every few years

Sameer said:
No hardware changes also mean hardly any problems with hardware/software/windows. So, generally, some more peace of mind.

But individual laptops can have quirks. For example my laptop Realtek soundcard occassionally stops working, a reboot or disable/enable of the SC fixes it. Tried official drivers (locks machine up) and Realtek. Also some weirdness with cardbus + USB card, sometimes crashes when transferring, latest drivers....USB 2 cardbus is ok on another machine. Also problems with Prolific external enclosures over firewire (buggy Prolific chipset) Toshiba laptop refuses to burn reliable burns via USB 2 from a external enclosure, just makes coasters. Burning with the same enclosure on other laptop with USB is fine (USB2 controller in the Toshiba is rubbish) Also Toshiba laptop where it displays sometimes has ~ 3fps in movies, after a fresh install, videocard drivers, minimum codecs etc. Two other laptops with same base install (XP SP2, FFDSHOW) are fine.

Laptops are great to have, but if yours has a problem you really can't fix it. It's not like you can remove motherboard and fit a new one for £50.

semi-pro waster said:
I had a desktop so didn't take it backwards and forwards all that much, although that might be partly as I just got a second computer to leave at my parents :)
That's what I did. Seemed cheaper than buying a laptop, plus as I play a lot of games I don't really like using a laptop for it.

Defcon5 said:
But it also means while we're all lovingly stroking our quad core 4gb ram rigs hel be sat there waiting for Windows -Bill Gates Memorial edition- to load.

But if its still able to do the things he wanted the laptop to do at the time of purchase, does it really matter?

I've purchased a laptop for uni work, office stuff, emails and internet related tasks. Basically, non gaming tasks. I don't game on it (got a 360 for that) so I can see me using it quite happily for a long time to come. In 3 years time, it'll still be using the same OS with newer versions of some applications and carrying out exactly the same tasks.

I don't think I'll be needing a "quad core 4gb ram rig" for general useage and nor will the OP if he's not planning on gaming.

Back
Top Bottom