Desktop Speakers to go with my Soundblaster AE-5

Soldato
That also applies to the more expensive Ruark's though (amp). Probably will do with any speakers that aren't yet more money, or £200+ studio monitor speakers. Anything not classed as a studio monitor speaker, is going to cost a fair bit more for them to have an amp in each speaker, I would have thought. As an example; KEF X300A are classed active hifi speakers and have an amp in each speaker, but they originally started out at around £600.

It's certain that cheaper speakers are built to a cost and why they have an active and passive speaker. That is almost certainly why there are cheap budget studio monitor speakers that have varying user reviews; most are good, but there are a few too many negative ones for my liking. The cheap M-Audio and Mackie speakers have a few too many negative comments to be a good choice in my opinion. Undoubtedly, too many corners were cut to meet a low price point. This is where Edifier have done very well. While they aren't classed as studio monitor speakers, they have one active and one passive speaker and are similarly priced; but if you look at the user comments, particularly on the US jungle site, they fare so much better.

3% of 1* reviews from a total of nearly 1800 for the Edifier R1280T. M Audio AV42 in comparison, have 11% 1* reviews from only a total of 282. Mackie CR4, 12% of 1* reviews from a total of nearly 1800.

Just to add; Mackie and M-Audio do make some good quality speakers. They are just a fair bit more than their low budget ranges.

For the cable, (in my opinion) any decent active speakers really should have binding posts so a cable of choice can be used. For the cost of the Ruark's, you only get a 3.5mm socket to the other speaker. Admittedly, that does still allow a cable of choice to be used, but unless it's a cable specific to the job of being used as a speaker cable, the copper in many 3.5mm cables will be thin. Even the hugely cheaper Steljes NS1 has binding posts.

Anyway; I think all this talk is just adding extra confusion for the OP. It's possibly only important if he were looking at the aforementioned budget Mackie's or M-Audio's.

Edifier R1800T III in black For £120.
Steljes NS1 in black for £130 from Richer Sounds, if smaller size speaker is preferred.

I notice there is a Bluetooth version of the Edifier R1280T; R1280DB in black for £120. Could be an alternative to the R1800T III if a Bluetooth connection is desired.

All those are good choices roughly close to budget, if the OP would rather not go down the route of passive speakers and a SMSL SA50 amp.

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply, after doing some looking, you tubing and getting the tape measure out I'm for certain looking for something on the smaller end of the scale, the edifiers for example are going to take up too much spare, I only have about 20-25cm spare on each side of my monitor and yes they will fit but I want something a bit more minimal.

so at the moment I'm stuck between the Steljes NS1 and the Audioengine A2s at almost double the price, now I know I have a budget but its not a case of not being able to afford either set, more a case of is it worth the extra money

Associate
OP
I'm still doing some looking about and came across the presonus eris e4.5 . Although a little larger than I would have wanted their reviews all seem positive so are hard to ignore. Anyone have any experience with these

Soldato
Presonus Eris speakers are good. Of the budget monitor speakers, they are among the better ones. Being studio monitor speakers though, they are geared towards a more neutral sound, as they are designed for music creators. A fair few people do use such speakers for music and general purpose use, but some do find the sound can be a little un-involving. The sound is likely to be more accurate compared to many multimedia speakers, and as a result; if you've got some music that wasn't mastered particularly well or low quality, studio monitors will show the flaws; it's what they are designed to do.

I don't want to put you off what are good speakers though. I thought you should know, they are speakers designed to be honest, not forgiving as most multimedia speakers likely are.

There is an Eris 3.5, which are slightly smaller at 14cm wide.

Doug2507's suggestion of home demo from the rain forest, is a good way to find out what will be suited to you what isn't. The odd one or two wouldn't be an issue, but not something you would want to do too often though, as I'm sure the rain forest wouldn't be too happy if you kept sending speakers back after trying them. ;)

Associate
OP
Yeah I've thought about getting some ordered but don't want to keep sending stuff back. I'm still up in the air with what to get though so it might be good to try a few. I'm even contemplating upping my budget, the ruark mr1 mk2 are catching my eye. Size is perfect and reviews are good, but £320

Soldato
Richer Sounds sell the Steljes NS1 and the Ruark MR1. They have stores in Middlesbrough and Newcastle. If one of those is reasonably close to where you live, maybe you could pop along and ask for a demo. If you do, best to ring first and make sure they have stock and tell them you'd like to have a demo.

Will be the best way to know if spending £320 on the Ruark's is worth it to you. It's all well and good people on the internet saying they are great and are worth the money, but not everyone wants to spend that much and you may find the Steljes NS1 do just what you need at a third of the price.

Associate
OP
Steljes ns1 have been ordered. Came down to size in the end and it's hard to justify the cost of the ruarks for my needs.
Rain forrest have these in black for £99 as well.
Thanks for the help all

Soldato
That's a really good price. Never noticed they were available on the jungle site.

Suggested them to a chap in another thread who is looking for something better than those single small Bluetooth speaker.

Associate
Look pretty nice those. Woofer looks remarkably similar to the A2's.

Tbh I struggled deciding myself. Really just wanted small actives without any internal processing so I could run from an external headphone amp. But, small form factor follows the fashon trend and couldn't find any unless moving up in size.

Look forward to hearing about these, nice looking boxes. :)

Associate
OP
So there here, must admit, better sounding than I thought, considering their size they have ok base, nice clarity, and size is perfect, thanks to all who replied, pics below, with old speakers for comparison

glbgaMU.jpg

BxJxCnj.jpg

T1GuIB1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom