Desktop upgrading help and advice

Associate
Hi folks I am a beginner to PC upgrading and I have an old desktop system which was built for my old job which I'm hoping to upgrade especially its RAM.

It currently has:

Motherboard: ASRock G31M-GS
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
RAM: 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Storage: 160GB SATA

I'm only aiming to play games like Euro Truck Sim and Farming Sim so nothing too draining but it currently runs ok in Low settings on both but struggles and lags more on Farm Sim.

The RAM I need is DDR2 and finding it difficult to find.
Any ideas what RAM I should go for or any other upgrades I should consider.

Cheers

Associate
I understand that your motherboard has 2 slots for the ddr2. It supports maximum of 2 x 4GB DDR2 800/667 non-ECC, you could look for these 2nd hand.

You could add a sata ssd if you have a hdd to speed up loading.

Honestly you have to consider how much its better to save for a new system rather than upgrade, but if you buy some new items they might transfer to a new system eg ssd, graphics card. If you get a new gpu make sure that the psu can power it.

Hope this helps, https://youtu.be/tzFkfjwhodM

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

I am not a big PC gamer at all more so a console gamer so as long as the system will handle a handful of games like Euro Truck I'd be happy.
Maybe in the future I would invest into a new build system with decent spec.

I been looking for 8GB (2x4GB) RAM and found Kingston HyperX DDR2. Will this run on my motherboard? I think this RAM is 1066MHz

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reply.

I am not a big PC gamer at all more so a console gamer so as long as the system will handle a handful of games like Euro Truck I'd be happy.
Maybe in the future I would invest into a new build system with decent spec.

I been looking for 8GB (2x4GB) RAM and found Kingston HyperX DDR2. Will this run on my motherboard? I think this RAM is 1066MHz
Ddr 2 800mhz is the max for that motherboard it should work at that speed instead of 1066mhz but im not 100% sure.

Soldato
There's plenty of that RAM available on the river place.

What are the make & model of the PSU? In particular does it have one or two 8 pin PCIE power cables? That will help us recommend a new GPU.

Soldato
I have a Casecom ATX 500W with one PCIE power cable

A quick search on Google indicates that that is a rubbish PSU; not a PSU I would trust with much load. And it's old. If you're going to spend money on even a halfway decent GPU then I recommend buying a new PSU as well. You should be looking at a RTX 3050 which should be out in a month or two, but GPU prices are crazy right now.

Associate
OP
A quick search on Google indicates that that is a rubbish PSU; not a PSU I would trust with much load. And it's old. If you're going to spend money on even a halfway decent GPU then I recommend buying a new PSU as well. You should be looking at a RTX 3050 which should be out in a month or two, but GPU prices are crazy right now.

I have been thinking of upgrading the PSU as it has switched the system off a couple of times. I'm sure the RTX 3050 will be a very nice GPU but I'm sure no matter what a new Motherboard will be needed if a upgrade the GPU.

Associate
OP
You need to search 2 x 4gb ddr2 800mhz or 667mhz if you buy from ebay then uk only seller.

I have been looking on various sites including ebay, Gumtree and amazon and havent had much joy. There is a fair bit of 4GB RAM out there but 99% i have seen are AMD compatible only. Couple of Intel compatible ones are £50 plus.

Associate
I think that most of the lag is associated with your CPU. I understand that your GPU meets the minimum spec for the game, although that might mean turning down graphic settings. I honestly wouldn't put more money into that system than buying items you are prepared to carry over into a system like a psu or graphics card. Alternative is buying a cheap gaming laptop given cost of desktop parts at the momemt

Man of Honour
I have been looking on various sites including ebay, Gumtree and amazon and havent had much joy. There is a fair bit of 4GB RAM out there but 99% i have seen are AMD compatible only. Couple of Intel compatible ones are £50 plus.
Amd compatable memory will probably work with Intel so you could take a chance , if it does not work return it but its up to you.

Associate
OP
Hi i have ordered 2x4GB RAM and was listed as AMD compatible.

Just installed one stick alongside the original RAM
1x 2GB 666MHz
1x4GB 800 MHZ (AMD compatible)

In Windows system it only says 2GB RAM installed

In Speccy and CPU-Z it says 6GB Dual channel DDR2 @332 MHz

Ran a Windows Memory Diagnostics test and came back with no error.

This seems strange and ideas?

Associate
OP
Just tested the system with both the new memory sticks (2 x 4GB DDR2 800Mhz) and Windows wouldn't boot.

My Motherboard is ASRock G31M-GS has 2 slots and is compatible with up to 8GB 667/800MHz RAM.

Back
Top Bottom