Destiny 2 banning issue - what are overlays?

Soldato
Apparently Bungie are being overzealous with banning Destiny 2 players. The issue appears to be 'overlays'. What exactly are overlays in this context?

I mean, I've used Afterburner to monitor GPU usage and tweak my GPU. Does it have another use? Will Task Manager be counted as an overlay now it has a GPU monitor?

MMOs aren't my cup of tea, so I'm not likely to be affected by this instance but who knows what I might purchase in the future?

Bungie aren't banning for overlays, see their response here:

DESTINY 2 SECURITY
13h - Destiny Dev Team
We have seen lots of questions about bans being issued in the PC version of Destiny 2. To provide some information, we would like to share some facts.
The following is true:
  • Destiny 2 cannot automatically ban you, only Bungie can ban a player after a manual investigation
  • Yesterday, we banned approximately 400 players on PC
  • Bans were applied to players who were using tools that pose a threat to the shared ecosystem of the game
  • We did not (and will not) issue any bans for the use of overlays or performance tools, including Discord, Xsplit, OBS, RTSS, etc.
  • Information on using third-party applications can be found here: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101
  • We are overturning 4 of the bans that were issued during the PC Beta
We are committed to providing an experience that is fun and fair for the millions of players who have joined us in this community.
Update: As part of our ban review process, we have identified a group of players who were banned in error. Those players have been unbanned. The bans were not related to the third-party applications listed above. We will continue to review the process we use to ensure a fun and fair game.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46426

Given what I've read elsewhere, I simply don't believe them.

Bungie aren't some 2 bit company. They made Halo and have been around for a long time.

They are banning cheaters and key hackers or people who bought from key hackers.

Buy your key from a legit source and all is fine. All those that are banned are rightly so. Even if they didn't cheat they bought a stolen copy of the game.

Back
Top Bottom