Detectorists

Soldato
My favourite moment in this unique series was an otherwise very innocuous chat in the second series between Andy (Mckenzie Crook) and Sheila, Terry's wife. Sheila had been portrayed as an irrepressibly cheerful woman in every interaction between her character and any other character, in pretty much every scene she is in. As the series progressed you definitely noticed just how cheery and positive about things she always was, you kind of thought this is just how she was. Then in this scene with Andy in the second series, which I believe was just a chat outside a pub, it was *very* subtlety hinted that Sheila could not have children or something else to do this children had happened, with the implication that her cheerful demeanour was a way of coping with this, or in spite of it, though this is deliberately not explicitly stated. This made whole persona and behaviour of her character seen in the episodes prior to suddenly have a stark meaning. Writing a detail like this, with a pay off much much later in the series run, is just superb.

Associate
My favourite moment in this unique series was an otherwise very innocuous chat in the second series between Andy (Mckenzie Crook) and Sheila, Terry's wife. Sheila had been portrayed as an irrepressibly cheerful woman in every interaction between her character and any other character, in pretty much every scene she is in. As the series progressed you definitely noticed just how cheery and positive about things she always was, you kind of thought this is just how she was. Then in this scene with Andy in the second series, which I believe was just a chat outside a pub, it was *very* subtlety hinted that Sheila could not have children or something else to do this children had happened, with the implication that her cheerful demeanour was a way of coping with this, or in spite of it, though this is deliberately not explicitly stated. This made whole persona and behaviour of her character seen in the episodes prior to suddenly have a stark meaning. Writing a detail like this, with a pay off much much later in the series run, is just superb.

This is why the series is so exceptional. I describe it as two guys that go out metal detecting; everyone turns their nose up.

It's not about metal detecting. It's about human relationships; as wonderful and terrible as they can be. The quiet nuance between all the characters is the bedrock upon which the show is built.

It's obviously helped by an utterly gorgeous 'theme tune'.

Soldato
good start for Aussie drama Upright sky atlantic ... edgy compared to normal PC netflixusa/bbc productions ... but they have a good sense of humour,
misfit characters with lots of querks, reminiscent of utopia.

if you liked that , try upright ... now on 7th episode is a worthy successor - a human story
music from Tim Minchin co-star is great ... check out his streaming catalogue ... 'inflatable you' ....... he's an aussie version of Michael Marra.

Commissario
I appreciate this is a huge bump but I saw someone started a thread about metal detectors in GD recently, it reminded me that I've been meaning to watch this show for years and I finally got around to it.

What a fantastic series, I've done the whole lot in about three days and loved every minute of it.

And this is quite timely because I see that a new episode is being made, to be aired later this year.

Associate
I appreciate this is a huge bump but I saw someone started a thread about metal detectors in GD recently, it reminded me that I've been meaning to watch this show for years and I finally got around to it.

What a fantastic series, I've done the whole lot in about three days and loved every minute of it.

And this is quite timely because I see that a new episode is being made, to be aired later this year.

That is amazing news! I did much the same, watched it all in 2 days and loved it. Such a clever, well thought out show. I wished they had done another season, but I will settle for a new episode :)

Commissario
In one of the later episodes I was thinking what a good job they did of casting Becky and her mum because they look so similar.

I’ve just looked at the IMDb trivia page and Rachael Stirling actually is Diana Rigg’s daughter.

Permabanned
Thanks for bumping this thread and making me aware of the show. Will give it a watch, seems very positive.

Edit: watched the first two episodes, wow! What a charming and great little show. Again, thanks for the heads up! Will continue to watch.

Last edited:
Associate
It was ok, it wasn't bad it's just I really like the original end to the series and I don't think this really added anything.
This was my take as well. I realy enjoyed the series and the last episode was perfect all round.
This special was ok, but it just spoilt a lot of that storytelling.

Last edited:
Associate
Aye, it definitely felt a little dragged out for the story it had to tell. Ashamed to say I was a touch bored at certain points... Still great for the most part, but not a patch on anything previously.

Still, would love for this to be a bi-annual thing at Christmas time! We watched this followed by the Gone Fishing special and they really paired well together!

Last edited:
Soldato
I just finished this watching this on Netflix. I heard about it years ago because two blokes from work watched it and every now and then they'd say to each other "did you watch university challenge last night?" and now I know they were quoting this show.

Back
Top Bottom