Developer Training

Soldato
I'm guessing a number of you are in this sector so thought I'd ask here.

I'm interested in coding and development. Although not the same I've coded things in Autodesk's lisp language and also excels VBA stuff. It's something I really enjoy doing whenever I get the chance (currently doing the Excel thing for something my current company wants to be able to do)

I would eventually like the opportunity to move to a role in this area if necessary so having some experience or qualifications would be necessary and useful.

Does anyone know of any good courses I could take in this field?

Would any language be best?

.net seems to get mentioned a lot when looking at random job adverts.

Soldato
There are some boot camp things where you pay some amount and get training, then go off and try to find an employer. I was skeptical but it worked for a friend crossing over from marketing, so maybe.

I did the intro to python course on codecademy. Not great, not terrible. Free.

Lots of books, blogs, videos out there.

Languages correlate with problem domain. If you find some job listings you like the sound of, and they all want similar languages, learn that one. Beware that languages have strong and weak points, and learning only one will leave you a bit blind to things it does terribly.

Programmers are a bit tribal about languages. I won't write .net, but other people love it.

Soldato
Have a look at Pluralsight ( https://www.pluralsight.com/ ) as a starter for 10, it doesn't really have proper qualifications but gives you good training and insight into whichever language to take preference to.

If you've used VBA your next closest and relevant language would be C#.

As @JonJ678 says though, it does vary for what sort of thing you think you'll want to do. There is no "best" language, however there are some that are "best fit" for the application of code. For example, web varies but you've got .net core (C#) and php as the more main ones...but added onto that you have Javascript (not to be confused with Java), HTML, CSS...

What sort of industry do you want to go into? This has quite a large bearing on the languages you should look into, be that Java, C#, Cobalt, Pascal, PHP...and so on...

Back
Top Bottom