Dewalt DCS570N rail guide

Soldato
Bit of newbie with this but I'm looking to make some custom floating shelves with some wood and I've purchased the Dewalt DCS570N. I've had a go at using this tool and I'm completely new to handtools and I'm learning as I go along

One of the issues I've finding myself is cutting a straight line across my MFD. I dont have a large table but will use the floor and some foam to put my wood down. However to keep cutting a straight line I need to find a compatible guide or rail. Anyone know which guide or something I can purchase which is useful?

I know people use another piece of wood and clamp it down but I struggle to place the clamp as I'll be making my cuts mostly on the floor.

Associate
I've seen similar DIY guide rails made to what you suggest, where you have a piece of plywood/mdf, with another straight piece of wood secured to it, and the guide rail is made by holding the saw against the secured piece of wood, and cutting the "parent" piece of wood. I'm sceptical about how these work long term, but it should be better than nothing.

I've got the same circular saw, and I'm not aware of fixings for guide rails. One of the important features of guide rails is the "splinter guard", this is where the rail sits flush with the saw blade, and prevents the "keep" side of the wood from splintering. The DIY guide rail I've discussed should emulate this.

Given the design of the circular saw you've got, I don't believe you'll find rails for it, and if so, might experience limited success.

What you ultimately want, and what guide rails are made for are plunge saws. These are designed specifically for use on guide rails / tracks.

Edit - I've had a look around. It doesn't look like your saw will be compatible with Dewalt (and therefore any) guide rails. - Look at DCS572 for comparison, and you'll see slots that run the length of the saw that are used for slotting into guide rails.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll need a workbench, some grip clamps and a long piece of wood with a straight edge on one side to use as a guide.

Place the piece of wood you need to cut on the bench, place the guide on top and along the cut line you've marked. You then need to measure the distance between the edge of the circular saw and the blade, and clamp both pieces to the bench so that you can move the saw along the guide and the saw blade cuts along the cut line.

There's probably lots of videos on YouTube, but tbh I recommend getting someone handy to show you how to do it if you don't feel confident.

Twin slot shelving rails, too much risk of too much variation with wood

eg https://tradefit.uk/products/twin-slot-wall-mounted-shelving-upright-white-1000mm

You can, depending what you are going to do with what you are cutting, even screw the rails to the board, otherwise clamps

Don't rule out using two and basically sandwiching what your cutting with in between them

For shortish cuts a wheelybin (lid open) makes a reasonably useable cutting table!

Soldato
Soldato
I’ve tried one of those homemade mdf cutting guides and unfortunately, they are only as good as you make them. If you are already struggling to do straight cuts, making one of those guides will be difficult and inaccurate. I’m saying this from personal experience as I’m terrible at straight lines!

I put up wood panelling in our bathroom this week. I clamped a spirit level to the wood and whilst it hasn’t always been perfect, it probably got me 90% of the way there.

I strongly recommend getting a roofer’s square like this so that you can ensure you’re cutting perpendicular to the short length.

Good luck!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom