DFI Expert cold boot issue

Associate
Big.Wayne said:
In 9/10 examples of people *RMa'ing the Sucker* there is not a problem with the thing they are sendng back, its just because they have built the system incorrectly. . .

You have never owned a dfi then?

to the op, have you tried the power/reset button method, and as already, yank out plug

Soldato
Blood Hawk said:
Bummer :(

I bought a DFI Expert last weekend. Not got it plugged in yet as I've just ordered the rest of the equipment (arrives sometime tomorrow hopefully).

Just checked the revision number... R.AA0 :( Dang, well I guess I'll just have to hope that it works fine, otherwise it'll have to go back to the store/through RMA me thinks.

If it's any consolation my AA0 is fine so far [touch wood].

Associate
Andrew665 said:
power/reset method?

Shes up and running but if I turn her off she may not cum on again :(

Yes from the nf2 days, and cold booting infini/lanparty. A power down, followed by cold boot, pull plug/cable from psu/hit power switch/turn off psu switch-

plug mainsback in/psu switch to on-hit reset followed by power switch, I also had success with a quick re-hitting of the power switch

Associate
Carter said:
If it's any consolation my AA0 is fine so far [touch wood].

Yeah, thankfully mine seems to be working fine for the moment! :) Guess I got lucky. I had to switch the RAM sticks to slots 2&4 (orange) instead of 1&3 (yellow) - the manual seems to suggest that I put them in both, but not the other (wtf? Tables in book says slots 1&3, then under that it says "we suggest you use slots 2&4" ... umm, hehe).

Anyway, shame to see this board is causing people problems, hopefully I won't encount any/many in the future, but will keep an eye out to see if I can help with these issues in any way I think.

Associate
Yeah there's a lot of posting about it being a possible BIOS/PSU mis-match issue.

Thought my info was in my sig, maybe it got removed though.

Enermax 535W FMA PSU (OCuk website lists it as a Noisetaker, but never mind).
Memory is: Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2.

The memory is currently in the orange slots - they didn't seem to like the yellow slots (and the DFI manual I have seems to tell me to put them in both!?! Ahh well).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Edit: Corrected memory listing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to clear up this issue...

Went down to the overclockers store the other day, picked up an Enermax Liberty 620watt. It seems to have solved the problem. My previous PSU was a Tagan 480w. Mustant of been up to scratch?! Oh well fingers crossed it will continue to trundle along.

Last edited:
Associate
Having similiar problems....sorry to hijack.

My brand new - LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert arrived last week,

Installed it over the weekend.

Memory
1Gb G.Skill FC Series PC4400 (2.5-4-4-8) Dual Channel kit (F1-4400DSU2-1GBFC)
Psu
Seasonic S12 500W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply (CA-001-SS)
Processor
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm
Gfx
Power Connect X800xl
Hdd's
2x74gb raptors.

Does not boot - Hard drives start to spin up - Fans spin - system leds are on.

The Dianostics leds in the bottom right corner 4 of them red.

Moved the ram from yellow in to orange sloths - tried with one's and two dims.

Nothing.

Removed the cmos battery for a day nothing.

Reseated and disconnected all the device that are not needed ( extra hdd's and optical drives) nothing.

Can't flash the bios - what i might try tonight is removing it from the case and build it on the box there might be a short causing this.

Other then that i'm lost haven't got a clue what else i can try.

The leds in the bottom does anyone know what they mean, all the manual says about them is System start-up when all 4 are on.....

Associate
OP
Turn to page 67 in your manual. It describes each sequence. I think the white box means one diode is on. So you should read the list of events from bottom to top on that page.

Oh and my pc is still screwing up. The powersupply did not fix the issue.

Associate
OP
Anyone think it could be the ram? I've tried crucial pc4000 ballistix and corsair twinx 4400 in it. Doesn't seem to like the corsair at all, but will run ok with the crucial, but first boot from fresh bios reset it will only take one stick, I tried upping the volts to get it to accept the other and it has worked 50/50. Sometimes it will boot others not at all.

Guess I better get ordering that OCZ 2gb PC4000 Dual Channel Platinum Series...

Back
Top Bottom