Diagnose what im doing wrong!

Soldato
Ok having trouble setting up file and print sharing on my uni house bt home hub (yeah i know!)
Il run through my process, see if you can see a fault please.

Everyone is running Xp - 6 computers - all but one running 802.11g wireless, the other 802.11b
1 - On my computer i run "set up home/office small network"
2 - No let me choose another way to connect to the internet option.
3 - This computer connects through a residential gateway option.
4 - Computer desciption (name, i.e Dan) Computer name (same again, Dan)
5 - Workgroup name - MSHOME
6 - Turn on file and print sharing option.

Repeat on all computers changing only computer name and description. (my floppy drive is broke, would it be better to get a new one, and use the network disk? The laptops only have cd drives anyway, i dont have an xp cd.

Internet connection settings:

Connecting via ICS through: Unknown Internet Connection Sharing device

Computer description: dan
Computer name: DAN
Workgroup name: MSHOME

File and printer sharing is turned on. The Shared Documents folder and any files or printers you have shared are now available for others to use.

This works to a degree, but is a major pain in the backside, i want to rule out me being a douche before i assume, its something more sinister.
No firewalls on the computers, except Windows firewall, which as far as im aware open necessary ports. (or is that only service pack 2?)

Problem - I can connect to only one of the workgroup computers, then the network goes nuts and doesnt work after i turn my computer off for a day.
They can all connect to me, but not visa versa. No games will play over lan.
I can ping all computers.

Associate
your post is a lil bit confusing to me. Why are you setting up ICS, the home hub is a 4 port ADSL Modem/Router no?

assign all PC's IP addresses to be automaticly assigned, this will allow all the pcs internet access assuming your Home Hub is setup correctly

as for the file sharing, make sure all the PC;s are in the same workgroup (makes things easier) allow file and print sharing like you have, I would disable the firewalls just to test connectivity, oh and you'll actually need to share somthing :D

Associate
if i were you i would avoice windows silly network wizard at all costs.

all it will do is create a ton os useless bridges...

in your network options for the network device you are using just configure a static default gateway of the router.

repeat this process for all the other computers.

once you have them talking to eachother using the ping command in cmd share the printers/files out that you want by right clicking the specifiv printers/folders and select sharing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
All the computers connect to the home hub wirelessly fine. They all have internet acess, i am trying to set up filesharing.

If i set up the ips to static number 192.168.1.10-20 and they all have the same workgroup name will they automatically appear in my network places. I thought setting up a home and small business network communicated between the computers and linked them to talk on start up.

Its as simple as just using ip address through the router gateway ip?
Il have a fiddle.

Thankyou for replying.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK, i have set up all the computers to have static ips through the router gateway ip, including dns ips.
I have set all to MSHOME, and changed computer names to simple things, like dan or paul.

I can ping them all fine.
I can open their shared folders by run> \\192.168.1.10 but i cannot by putting \\paul
and it also gives me the stupid network not accessible, rights restriction rubbish errror message, if i got to workgroup computers in network places. How weird.

Back
Top Bottom