Did I break my PC?

Associate
Long story short I've had my PC for just over 1 year now. A few weeks ago I was really interested in overclocking so I gave it a shot. After hours and hours of testing and upping my clocks via Afterburner I managed to get to the point where I would crash etc which is fine, I just put my settings down.
However, I didn't notice much difference in regards of FPS just more heat so I decided to remove the overclock on my GPU and CPU by putting the settings back to default.

The problem I'm facing now I seem to be missing FPS within games now. Before I overclocked I would have got a solid 280-300+ FPS within CSGO. Now I can barely manage to hit 250 FPS.

I have also noticed that my GPU is hotter whilst IDLE unlike before. Before I overclocked my GPU was around 45-50 degrees IDLE but now despite reverting my overclock back to default settings it sits on a solid 60-65 degrees.

My question is did I break my CPU and GPU by overclocking it?

2479c4856fb0c392f6ba743bedb5d4cc.png

Soldato
Looks like that 980Ti is now a 2GB card. Hopefully just corruption from bad overclock.

Remove the card from the system (take it out of the slot). Using onboard graphics, uninstall all graphics drivers (use DDU if you want to be thorough), and Afterburner. Re-insert the card and install latest driver and Afterburner.

Associate
OP
Looks like that 980Ti is now a 2GB card. Hopefully just corruption from bad overclock.

Remove the card from the system (take it out of the slot). Using onboard graphics, uninstall all graphics drivers (use DDU if you want to be thorough), and Afterburner. Re-insert the card and install latest driver and Afterburner.

Nah man. That's just Speccy reading it wrong. It's not 2GB haha

Soldato

I would still follow this advice. Check your bios settings, some Auto functions over volt equipment.

Associate
Doesn't your motherboard have auto overclock? I'd just use that if so as your system is quite highish spec and doesn't really need to be messed with anyway.

Associate
I'll add my 2 pennies worth. As per my thread elsewhere about getting back to basics or keeping it simple, open up your case and check the fans of CPU and GPU.

They may need a clean out with a vacuum. Just eliminate this as a source of the heating. Maybe just happened to coincide with the overclocking. I had similar incidences when swopping out multiple components masking what the actual problem was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom