• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Did NVIDIA Originally Intend to Call GTX 680 as GTX 670 Ti?

Associate
If you want to look at it that way the card does ~1200MHz out the box and downclocks to reduce power useage and heat output when not needed... seriously complaining about the clockboosting feature is borderline idiotic.

No ones complaining particularly... We just want to see like for like benchies!!

Soldato
This is overclockers, so I give people credit for being able to at least find out how to overclock.

The majority of people 'will not' overclock. Nvidia have just made it easier for those people.

The majority of people buying cards like this Greg WILL overclock it and will soon find out how.

Every person on this forum running a 2500k or I7 K has overclocked it. That was why they bought it !

I'm not being deliberately obtuse with you Greg, I actually think you are a very decent chap and do make sure to read all of your posts. But, I think you are just taking things in a literal sense with the reviews of the 680 and not considering that they haven't overclocked the 7970. Which they haven't.

I will repeat, though. The 680 IS a fantastic card. Especially if you can't bring yourself to buy AMD. It's very fast, and really should not be able to stand toe to toe with the 7970 but IT DOES.

However, going as far to say that one is faster? sorry mate, it just isn't true. And that is what I take exception to, people telling porkies.

Caporegime
The majority of people buying cards like this Greg WILL overclock it and will soon find out how.

Every person on this forum running a 2500k or I7 K has overclocked it. That was why they bought it !

Mine's been running stock for a while, I just haven't bothered to update my sig.
I flashed my BIOS to latest, ran my CPU at stock, haven't seen reason to change it.

Associate
OK. So when I overclock my 7970 (myself) and it goes faster than a 680 it isn't faster because I did it and not Nvidia?

Seriously, I am finding some of the stuff people are coming out with today absolutely hysterical.

When people rushed out to buy the I5 and I7 K series CPUs they did so because of what they were capable of.

Not what they did out of the box. Yet, all of a sudden a product that automatically overclocks itself and goes faster than a non overclocked 7970 is the fastest product out there.

And, if you even so much as DARE to overclock a 7970 and come back at them they give you all of the excuses under the sun as to why it doesn't matter.

LOL !

I couldn't care if I had ten 7970s. I really couldn't. It's the utter rubbish people are coming out with and the hypocritical things they are saying that just cracks me up.

At the limits of both cards (when overclocked properly) the 7970 is faster. So should I just ignorantly walk around saying that the 7970 is faster because when overclocked, you know? it is.

No. I'm not allowed to. I'm also not allowed to because I own a 7970 and thus am only doing this out of spite, jealously and anger that my card is "SLOWAH".

Haha ! You just don't get it do you?

Overclocked (probably the most important thing on this forum until today's green amnesia) the 7970 is overall the faster card.

I have been reading your posts for weeks and i cant work out if you are mental for attention or just desperate to justify your 7970 purchase. Before release you cried that everyone should avoid the card and it is only out 5 minutes and already its cheating? Lol ! No to mention there will be improvements in near future driver releases.

Both cards are similar price and similar performance..from early indications the 680 has better power consumption, runs cooler and quieter..are these things suddenly irrelevant to you? So the 680 auto clocks and the 7970 requires manual settings..wait and see how things stack up in a month or two if you are still obsessed about which is the faster.

Soldato
Mine's been running stock for a while, I just haven't bothered to update my sig.
I flashed my BIOS to latest, ran my CPU at stock, haven't seen reason to change it.

OK fair enough, that's honest. I overclocked my I7 950 once to 4ghz. Wasn't a problem, I just sat there wondering how much it was costing me haha.

But, like my 7970 I bought that CPU because I read the reviews and skipped to the best bit, that bit being how it performs when you overclock it.

Because that part is very important. To all of us. Hence the name of the company whose forums we talk on.

Trying to ignore that today just to say the 680 is faster is absolutely outrageous.

Man of Honour
No ones complaining particularly... We just want to see like for like benchies!!

It is like for like tho - the cards are operating as intended out the box. If the user had to overclock themselves risking the card, invalidating warranty, etc. that would be another matter entirely... this feature isn't like traditional overclocking either - its dynamic adaptive clock manipulation within an intended frequency range.

Associate
Then read the review on OC3D where both cards are overclocked.

Where the reviewer says at the end that both are a great choice, that there is hardly anything between them.

Exactly my point, and the one you are (trying) to make also, the 15% better reviews (in nvidas favor) are obviously misleading

Caporegime
The 680 has a lower TDP, but its cooler offsets this, so it runs "hotter" while not being the hotter core, if you get me.
In the same sense you can WC a 480 for cooler temps than a 7970 reference, while one has the higher TDP, it's cooler due to its cooling.

Caporegime
I was quite happy reading post after post of haters and normally I wouldn't rise but for some reason you have just gone over the top on trying to put people off the 680.

Chill out bud and have a Courvoisier. Red v Green will always be there but please ease up and be happy with your 7970 (which is a great card)

Soldato
I have been reading your posts for weeks and i cant work out if you are mental for attention or just desperate to justify your 7970 purchase. Before release you cried that everyone should avoid the card and it is only out 5 minutes and already its cheating? Lol ! No to mention there will be improvements in near future driver releases.

Both cards are similar price and similar performance..from early indications the 680 has better power consumption, runs cooler and quieter..are these things suddenly irrelevant to you? So the 680 auto clocks and the 7970 requires manual settings..wait and see how things stack up in a month or two if you are still obsessed about which is the faster.

Here we go ! another "you are trying to justify your purchase" person.

Thanks, I do appreciate your concern.

However, it doesn't really come down to that whatsoever. I was just as critical of the 7970 and still am, even now. I hate the drivers and overall I am not completely happy with it.

Thus, I couldn't care what you think about me, as you have it wrong.

What I care about is how these parts perform when overclocked. The good, juicy, low down good bit.

Ignoring how one product overclocks because you love another one is completely stupid and hypocritical.

So you may want to check the URL of the site you are visiting, because last time I looked it was called overclockers. Where enthusiasts talk about products and, crap the bed, how well you can overclock them.

Not compare an overclocked product to a bog standard one on basic clocks and then declare one a winner.

Soldato
If you want to look at it that way the card does ~1200MHz out the box and downclocks to reduce power useage and heat output when not needed... seriously complaining about the clockboosting feature is borderline idiotic.

Its what NV says it is.

The 680 is faster out of the box because of that feature, but the fact is that when at the same clocks there is little in it and people looking to Overclock should take that into consideration as it may not be the faster card for them when both cards are overclocked.

Soldato
I own a 560TI and a 2600k with a H100, I have had a stable overclock on both. Atm and for the past few month they have been at stock. Apart from when my i7 overclocks to 3.8Ghz.

Associate
@AXLAndy

You might want to try reading my post, I am suggesting you wait until each card has had a chance to breathe before "declaring a winner" as that is obviously a massive thing for you. I am not having a go but you seem to be on an ANTI 680 campaign for weeks and the point i am making is give the card a month for some decent driver updates before making up your mind.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its what NV says it is.

The 680 is faster out of the box because of that feature, but the fact is that when at the same clocks there is little in it and people looking to Overclock should take that into consideration as it may not be the faster card for them when both cards are overclocked.

If we are talking overclocked for overclocked (beyond out the box) then I'd hold off making a decision on which is faster atm as a lot of people are still getting to grips with the way the clocks now work on nVidia cards and we'll prolly see more accurate results in a few days/couple of weeks when people get their heads around it and/or newer software tools come out with better support as the current ones even evga precision only support it fairly rudimentarily.

Soldato
Would people here recommend an AMD CPU that is faster out of the box at default but consistently looses to Intel when both are overclocked, yeah right.

Someone who is not going to OC get the 680, people who OC should pick and choose.

Caporegime
Would people here recommend an AMD CPU that is faster out of the box at default consistently looses to Intel when both are overclocked, yeah right.

Someone who is not going to OC get the 680, people who OC should pick and choose.

Except we can't make judgements like that yet.
And we'll never know about that AMD situation, because it'll never happen :p

Back
Top Bottom