Did you keep your sports car after having kids?

Associate
It's a classic first world problem but I have been mulling this decision over a lot recently. We have our first child due in the summer and I change my mind weekly on what to do with our car(s).
We currently have:
- 2016 MK7 VW Golf GTI with ~75k miles
- 2021 Jaguar F-Type P450 AWD with ~9k miles

Whilst there's dozens of options to change to fun but practical cars, I can't help but think I'd miss the Jag if I sold it. On the other hand I'd also feel guilty/stupid if I end up using it less than I already do.

So I'm curious, did anyone of you decide to say goodbye to your two seater sports car when the first baby came along?

Soldato
It's a classic first world problem but I have been mulling this decision over a lot recently. We have our first child due in the summer and I change my mind weekly on what to do with our car(s).
We currently have:
- 2016 MK7 VW Golf GTI with ~75k miles
- 2021 Jaguar F-Type P450 AWD with ~9k miles

Whilst there's dozens of options to change to fun but practical cars, I can't help but think I'd miss the Jag if I sold it. On the other hand I'd also feel guilty/stupid if I end up using it less than I already do.

So I'm curious, did anyone of you decide to say goodbye to your two seater sports car when the first baby came along?

Seems a fairly easy decision to me. Will you ever need to both have a car that can take the kid in? If not, carry on as before?

Associate
OP
Yes I think I am leaning towards the same idea as most of you, if we need something bigger, we'll likely replace the Golf first.

I was just curious about other people's experience. Apparently, there are a few child seat options for the F-Type too

Soldato
Change it for something sporty and 4 seems (well 2+2). Unless you and child would go out without the mrs a 2 seater is going to be awkward, obviously depends on work. If you use the f type and mrs predominantly uses the golf you'll be fine for a while, and convertible will make accessing that rear facing seat easy.

Associate
Are you planning any more kids? Any chance you will have to take kids out / to nursery etc by yourself? If so, & assuming the Golf is more your wifes car rather than your 2nd car, I'd probably get rid of the Jag now before it depreciates in age another year and get a 2+2.

Being a 9k mile 2021 car, I assume there's no real sentimental attachment & it is very replaceable.

Soldato
Kept the 911 - put the deposit down 2 weeks before finding out we were expecting our first child!

Looking back, it definitely doesn’t get driven enough, but I’m very glad to have been able to keep it as I’d definitely not be in a position to buy another right now if I had sold it.

The 2+2 layout hasn’t been used for the kids at all. This is no bad thing as they make a lot of crumbs and sticky patches on car interiors. Maybe one day!

Soldato
Cupar Estates are lovely, plus 4WD - So extra giggles when they are a little older shouting 3, 2, 1 go!

I mean be responsible and never do that, however much the child giggles.
My kids get upset when I don't do a 'launch. Although tbf it's normally on a short slip road so you do need to boot it to get upto 50.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
We went from two cars to one when we had our son. However, that was partly driven by the fact that I was working in central London, meaning that we rarely needed two cars.

10 years later, I moved jobs and needed to commute, for which I bought a cheap MX5. It’s a great car to unwind in on the way home, almost regardless of the traffic.

Caporegime
childless-window-decal-with-money-bags-4945.jpg

Caporegime
Serious answer - keep both, the Jag will be relegated to occasional drives and will feel all the more special for it.

You'll regret getting rid of it, trust me.

Back
Top Bottom