Didn't get my CC statement, been fined for late payment

Soldato
Many years ago (12?) I was charged £20 late fee which I couldn't understand why as I've always had DD for full amount. When I called them they said they had a problem with their system and DD didn't go through. They quickly refunded when I pointed out this was their problem and not mine. Both CC and current with the same bank.

Hasn't happened since, just pointing out that DD can have occasionally fail as well.

It's not too hard to get a refund if it's the provider's fault. A DD that's active is live proof that it's not you trying to pull a fast one on top of that.

Soldato
If its the first time you've missed a payment I guarantee they will overlook it and refund the charge. I've done far worse (in my younger more care-free days) and most of the time got away with it.

Set up a Direct Debit mate. Then you never miss one.

s'what I do.

Definitely this. A credit card (in my opinion) is for cash flow. A way of borrowing money for 4-6 weeks.

Also it is good to check both your credit and debit accounts online for anything that is untoward. E.g. about 10 years ago I spotted some withdrawals from a European ATM while I was clearly still in the UK. Turned out to be bank fraud, reported it same day and got the money back a few days later.

I reckon they will accept the waiver once based on the OP being a special ********* but generally you should know your credit card is due by a certain date and get in touch if you can't check the balance on the phone or online. Reward credit cards are good if you can control your spending and afford to pay it every month.

Fixed :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Not least because you get a load of protection that you are unlikely to get with debit cards, let alone cash.
I never use a debit card online, except to pay my CC.

I'm surprised anyone out of choice pays for anything of any value that they can't walk out of the door with anything other than credit, and even for stuff you can take with you immediately upon payment it gives added protection.
People seem to forget you can use the CC effectively as a debit card by not buying stuff unless you've got the money in the bank, using the CC and paying it off either as soon as the bill comes in, or within a day or so if you've got online banking.

The fact it covers me if the retailer goes bust prior to delivery is enough to make them worthwhile.

All the above 100%. As all the peeps reading this thread are online and almost certainly buy stuff online. To not make those purchases with anything other than a credit card is, in my mind, complete stupidity.

Soldato
It is so simple to set up a Direct Debit to avoid this sort of situation. Or do it the old fashioned way and just remember to pay something at a certain time of the month. Stupidity / forgetfulness tax has been levied.

Soldato
In my opinion, you haven't got a leg to stand on. Statement or not, you need to pay your credit card off before a certain day or get a fine. They'll tell you the same no doubt.

V F

V F

Soldato
Do you use the card every month?
Do you not regularly login every month to make a payment/pay it off in full?
Do you not have a direct debit to cover the minimum payment?
If so, then why should this month be any different just because a statement didn't arrive (It could've been lost in the post)?

Seems a bit ignorant/naive to think that you're entitled to the waiver IMO.

I thought people logged in each day to check their accounts with all the fraud and to see whats pending. Or even the screw ups the banks can sometimes cause.

I certainly do as I no longer trust any of them. The amount of fraud before 2008/9 was shocking.

Caporegime
What do you mean you never received a statement. Do you mean you just didn't get it in the post?

Do you not have any text or email reminders set up ?

Soldato
Have always paid my bill in full the very day I get my statement but I didn't get my, June statement and thus made no payment. I logged in today to see whats up and I can see I've been fined.

It annoys me because I have never needed a credit card because I can afford everything with my debit card, and never wanted one so I can avoid incidents like this one. But I got jumped entering, ASDA one day and thought why not and signed up for their card, I shop and fill my car there and it rewards cashback.

I've got in contact with the company asking them to waive it on the grounds I didn't get a statement and that I have never paid late before and have always paid in full. Depending on the outcome I might just cancel the card.

You have a contract and you have to pay according to that contract whether you get a statement or not..

Soldato
You have a contract and you have to pay according to that contract whether you get a statement or not..

What about the days before the internet?

I don't know such a world, but I'm pretty sure people use to pay using those little GIRO slips you used to get.

Soldato
What about the days before the internet?

I don't know such a world, but I'm pretty sure people use to pay using those little GIRO slips you used to get.

The period in which you have to make the monthly payments is in the contract. Before the internet, you'd just go to the bank, maybe wait in a que for a while and moan about the weather. :D

Man of Honour
Credit cards are great, payment protection, a nest egg in an emergency, cash back, why not use one?

Don't get the hate. If you have no willpower then fair enough but don't try to force that on others.

Back
Top Bottom